Trimming/Pruning In Flower

Hello everyone! I have some plants here that will be 2 weeks into flowering starting tomorrow the 20th of November. I started November 6th. I saw some videos of people trimming/pruning while in the flower phase. Should I start now or wait another week? Also I feel like I may have switched into the flowering phase a bit too early. What is the ideal height I should be aiming for before switching to 12-12? I am using a 7ft high tent.

IMG_1829

2 Likes

Id be having a fit if that were my tent lol. Too many leaves for my liking but i typically trim like 1x a week and dont like leaves sitting on top of each other. Other than that your ladies look great! Trim to your liking everyone has their own preferences and unless your humidity is high or your having issues then really you dont need to trim as often as me. I trim to prevent WPM and encourage growth to the branches that are in my canopy and getting light already

1 Like

Appreciate the info! Not sure when the final stretch is finished, but I’m hoping they get a bit taller. How tall do you usually wait for your plants to get in veg before flipping to flower? If you don’t mind me asking

1 Like

I do a complete defoliation on the day I flip and then 21 days later…most do not do this much, but they recover well for me and really gives the developing buds light

3 Likes

I dont really try to grow tall plants tbh lol. I wish they would be smaller for real because im in my basement and i had to use a tent for HPS lights which comes to a triangle type at the top and the lights i got are bar light style and wouldnt go all the way to the top of the tent. I only have 52 inches clearance to my light and im at 49 inches now with my current grow. I usually just veg while my other plants are in flower (perpetual grow) and once the flower tent is open ill move the veg tent to it and flip. Ideally i like to keep them 2 ft or under before the flip due to my height restrictions but i also veg for about 2 months and top, LST, and trellis net them so its always a gamble. Heres my ladies now about to be in the lights. Btw im HOPING the stretch stops lol im 1 month and 1 day into flower now

This was before and after my routine trim if that gives you any idea of my typical defoliation
BEFORE

AFTER

3 Likes

I think yer lookin pretty good, nice even canopy and that is the main goal. Google search “nebula haze defoliation” it’s a good read with solid info and will help answer some of your questions

2 Likes

@BigCat420 @Riskguy @Pinboy Appreciate all the help! And sorry for the late reply, it’s been really busy at work. I was able to get in the tent and do some cutting. I removed all the branches that were really small and didn’t make it to the top as well as fan leaves blocking bud sites. When I got in there today I did notice some brown spots on a few fan leaves. I’m not sure if I should be overly concerned about it.

3 Likes

Looking good. How wide spread are the brown spots…could be mechanical damage

I didn’t see that many when I was in there, but I’ve also seen brown tips before on the fan leaves. I would say I am in the 3rd week of flower since I switched to 12-12 on November 6th so I’m not sure if they are supposed to be looking like that around this time.

Brown tips on the leaves are “good” in my opinion. Means you are pushing the nutes to the limit. Just keep an eye on it in case it progresses. Good luck!

2 Likes

Your plants look great! Trim job looks good. Ive had brown spots like that before and could never figure out what caused them but nothing ever came of it either i just trimmed the leaves and it never came back. I figured a water droplet hit that leaf and burned a hole

2 Likes

Those spots arnt anything to be concerned about. Looks more like a possible spill while watering than anything else.
IMO most people are so worried about defoliation to the point that they end up shooting them selves in the foot

2 Likes

Sorry for asking so many questions, but when I went to water today I noticed a lot of light green at the top of the plants. Is that normal or some type of nutrient problem?

1 Like

New growth…normal for my grows.

2 Likes

So those brown spots have spread to a lot of leaves. I’m thinking it is a calcium / magnesium deficiency. But not totally sure about that

If you fill out a support ticket we can help you better. Just my 2 cents i think its potassium but cant say for sure without the info in the support ticket

1 Like

Wow you are the best! Those pictures are really informative and it does look like a Potassium deficient.

Strain - Girl Scout Cookies
Seed Bank - ILGM
Soil - Fox Farm Coco / Gaia Green All Purpose / Gaia Green Bloom
PH - 6.5 / Little to no runoff
PPM - NA
Indoor
Lighting - HLG
Temps - 83 lights on / 77 lights off
AC / Heater / De-humidifier
Co2 - No

What would be the fastest way to get Potassium into these plants? Cause they are dropping and looking real bad just from one night. Gaia Green Bloom is dry nutrients and I heard it takes awhile for dry to take effect.

1 Like

Due to this soil combination in not sure what your soil ph should be. To my knowledge the best way to add potassium would be silica. Ph up also adds a tad bit of potassium. I use 6ml armor si silica to every 5 gallon batch. It also helps stiffen your stems so you can have stronger branches to support bigger nugs

1 Like

Thank you for all the help! I’ll have to go buy a botte of that and add it tomorrow, hopefully they bounce back quick!

1 Like

They have a deal going on now for it. $6 off but hey a discount is a discount
Limited-time deal: General Hydroponics Armor Si Plant Growth Enhancement, Quart https://a.co/d/1o6XnE2

1 Like