Trimming/drying questions

if i can get away with doing a dry trim- is it worth the effort? how about a half wet) half dry trim?

1 Like

I personally prefer wet trim as when I dry trimmed the leaf got crusty and made a big mess. Easier to wet trim if your saving your sugar leafs for edibles too

3 Likes

I take all big leaves off and leave the sugar leaves. I don’t think there is just one way.

3 Likes

Did my 1st dry trim yesterday and I may be sold. I’ll be doing another in about a week. I can now see where the cannabrush would come in. Cannabrush+Trimben= Goodness

1 Like

hung this 1 lastnight

2 Likes

I do a rough wet trim mostly the big leafs And finish up with a final dry trim. The more leafs you take off the faster it is going to dry. everybody’s environment an conditions vary. It’s good to shoot for a slow dry.
Good luck :+1::v:

2 Likes

However YOU want to do it my friend. That’s the beauty of growing your own cannabis you can make those decisions haha. Your product will hold a little more moisture if you dry trim because leaving leaves on helps hold moisture which can help for slow dry if your in a low rh area. If in high rh area maybe do a half and half or wet trim if your Rh is just too high. Either way you will enjoy your smoke at the end! Good luck my friend! :v:

Aim for a 5-7 day dry that’s that’s good marker. Some go little more and some less. Just my two scents.

Out of likes this morning everyone sorry :heart: :heart:

3 Likes

ok, my rh varies widely here in southern Indiana but right now in my house its around 37rh lol, ive got a small humidifier in the hallway outside the room im drying in and only trimmed the bigger leaves

1 Like

You wanna try to have an RH of around 60 when drying or a little lower. 37 is a little low. But they will be fine. The slower the dry the longer the cure the better the smell and taste of the bud.

yea with the small humidifier im at roughly 46rh in the house- i figured with it being low that i shouldn’t do a full wet trim…would this be a correct assumption? this is my first grow where im actually trying, only grows in the past was where id plant a bunch outside and just let em go- if they made it they made it- if not oh well…

1 Like

I do some wet trim and recently been doing a final manicure with the cannabrush before I bag them

1 Like

Comes down to personal preference i think

hey @Aussie_autos have you tried any of your recent harvest yet

1 Like

You want the off gasing from the plant material to happen when you are drying. It also helps preserve the finished product. Slow and low for a smooth smoke.
Happy growing…

I just did a dry trim on half of my harvest and I will for sure do more wet trim in the future. The dry larger leaves are difficult to trim after they are dry and tight against the buds. JMHO :blush::v:

1 Like

I am with the many that do a rough wet trim. Meaning, anything with a long stem gets removed. Depending on the RH levels, I’ll take a little more out of the bud. This is a recent harvest of purple haze.
I had a mold issue so I had to give them a good peroxide wash. So, I had to cut them down a little further than I prefer.

My preference is to have them more like this. More stem and branching to slow down dry time.

Back to the first picture. My humidity is like yours - under 40%. To slow the drying down as much as I could I put them in cardboard boxes. I use them often.
The tent was also available so I loaded up the boxes and into the tent they went.

To extend the dry time as much as possible, after 6 days in the boxes / tent I transferred them intact to a large tote. This is some of it. They spent a couple more days in the tote. I highly recommend this. The outside of the buds felt a little crispy when I first put them in the tote. I was a little concerned that it was over dried. However, after putting the lid on the tote and giving it a day, the moisture from the stems rehydrated the buds. (thank you @anon86641082 for sharing this with me) Then burped the tote a couple of times over the next few days until they were ready for final trim.

I gave them a once over with the canna brush. It easily removes the drier leaves and makes fast work of it. @Flitme
IMG_0005|333x500
Then I break it down and clean them up further with scissors

I do all of this over a trim tray. I don’t loose the good sugar leaves (@BigCat420 ) or trichomes

Ready for jars or grove bags

4 Likes

Yah i have im high as a kite now it has a spicy earthy taste with abit of pine

:rofl:glad to hear the fruits of your labors turned out good

Yah really good :smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:

the satisfaction of smoking your own product has to be better than any green u can buy

1 Like