Trimming damaged plant

Plant got knocked flat as a seedling, came back a very dense horizontal bush, how would you trim it for scrog growing?

4 Likes

@AfgVet does scrogs.

1 Like

When i train my ladies to prepare for going under a trellis i like to trim the middle and lay all the branches out evenly spaced from each other and use landscape staples, pipe cleaners, and LST clips to keep them close but not touching the medium and trim all the inner branches off the main branches leaving like 4 small branches for each main branch and that encourages outward growth. I would say start by trimming the middle and then putting some form of LST on your main branches. I like to keep training and trimming the branches till my tops are out of the planters inner circumference. At that point those tops outside the planter can stay and i keep trimming the inner diameter of the planter to keep encouraging outward growth. Hopefully this picture helps you better understand what im getting at

3 Likes

At this point in its life I would top it and then start lightly spreading her out with your hands a couple times a day. There’s no need to tie any down really. Just get the branches use to spreading out.

2 Likes

She’s a real compact plant. You can encourage her to stretch out a bit by raising or turning down the light a bit.

2 Likes

@BigCat420 The pics are great! Really shows how to start topping. I was worried about cutting the lower branches at this time. This thing is so compact and already growing horizontal at the base, it has multiple vertical branches already, kinda confusing how to top it. But i can top any of the branches to double them and train just like a single top, right?

I had to keep my lights on 24/7 through the seedling stage to maintain heat. Now im on 18/6. Because of that and the cold they grew dense and thick, so now i will lower the light intensity, train them by hand and after they have stretched a bit, i will cut the lower branches (skin up) the base, then work it into the scrog net. I appreciate everyones input!! If you all think of any other suggestions, im all ears!

1 Like

Absolutely! How big of a screen do you plan on using?

1 Like

@AfgVet , the room is 4’x8’, i can use all of it

2 Likes

Ive gotta learn the ways of the force on my next grow. These ladies were bushy so i topped and let em go. Ive gotta learn to start young and quit waiting so long to try to do anything…

3 Likes

You said you were going to SCROG her, do you have a screen of some sort set up?

@merlin44 and myself both run scrogs. He just did a great job documenting his training.
I’ll tag you into both.

2 Likes

I feel like I am in elite company @AfgVet, thanks for including me. :grin: :man_mage: :blush:

3 Likes

I have ordered a 4’x8’ scrog net with
6" squares

2 Likes

No need being modest with what you put in your scrogs.

2 Likes

@Bobkat There are many ways to implement a SCROG grow. Some folks top their plants and spread them as @AfgVet described in a previous post. Others (like me) use LST without topping. There others still that use higher stress techniques such as Super Cropping. There are literally hundreds of growers on this site that are very successful, some using SCROG’s and others not.

There is not a right way and a wrong way to train your plants (some don’t train at all). It all comes down to what each individual grower likes to do and what is effective for them. You will likely go through several techniques before settling on the one you like best.

Happy growing and good luck. You have some super talented growers here to help you when needed. :grin: :man_mage:

3 Likes

Sssshhhhhhh. I copied you when I got started :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks for the assist Mr Merlin!

2 Likes

Now that i have seen some pics and trimmed my girl out some, I can see what needs to be done now, thanks! I sincerely appreciate everyone sharing thier knowledge and experience!

2 Likes