Trimming and pruning

Northern lights fem. indoor, the small ones are about 6 weeks and the big ones are about 5 weeks old. I was told to cut just the bottom stems off keeping about 4 inches clear above the soil … They are getting a crap load of sucker branches … I dont want to top these because I was told the taller they get , the more yield they produce. Right now the tallest are about 13 inches … Should I just leave them alone or when or if , I should worry about pruning … Do I really need to prune them at all ??? I dont worry about space . This is my first grow and I am just happy they look healthy…

2 Likes

They look nice and healthy. If you’re not worried about space, then there’s no real need to prune.

3 Likes

OK , Im confused now , after reading up on other posts’ I am seeing growers saying topping vs. FiMming … With me wanting the best yield , What will produce the better yield ??, Not screwing with it and letting it grow, topping , or FIMing … ??? ( Northern lights and indoor ) …

the plants are looking healthy, you have a few so try some experimentation on a couple and see for yourself. Depending on the intensity of your lightsource as the plants mature and get larger you can remove some of the lower foliage to send the energy they consumed to your larger more productive branches.

3 Likes

I grow 4 plants per grow. Usually 3 of mine are topped & one fimd. This is due to operator error. I also use lst as i like to move my girls around. I remove lowest branches to try & get more juice to bigger tops. No reason to feed a stalk that wont produce. These are all personal choices but hope it helps.

5 Likes

I remove the large lower fan leaves and occasionally remove others farther up because (1) the lower leaves will eventually croak anyhow, (2) it improves air circulation, and (3) it allows more direct light to reach the developing buds and sugar leaves. I also remove any dying and diseased leaves. As for topping, sometimes I do and sometimes I don’t. For my small, cheap indoor grow, topping helps plants spread out rather than up, but I haven’t seen a quantifiable increase in yield as a result.

1 Like

Topping generally produces two tops. Every time you top you double your colas. Fim’ming produces 4 tops if done correctly. This is the main difference in the techniques.

Removing fan leaves is only a good idea if the health of the plant is at stake i.e. not enough air circulation or mildew forming etc. Buds don’t need light to bulk up. Tucking is preferable when possible and the fan leaves store nutrients the plant will need later.

Keeping your plant matter up out of the soil is a good idea simply from a hygiene standpoint.

2 Likes

Being old school I could get a Z for $80.00 , Everyone wants $400.00 now !!! Being on a budget I am going without instead of paying that much … Just thinking of those prices chokes me !!! Including the seeds , lights, sockets , soil and a water sprayer I have $ 71.00 invested… The rest was finding some ol pots , cutting up my milk jugs and grabbing an old box of foil and string … I really want to get the best yield , but at the same time , being my first grow, I dont want to !@#$ up any of the girls… I see so many articles on people trimming at the wrong time , trimming tooooo much and as @Switchback previously stated , didnt see a big difference in doing so. Most say a seasoned person can get as much as 2 lbs. from 1 girl… If I would get even close to 1 lb. I would be a happy camper !!! … I mean $ 71.00 is 2 tanks of gas for me !!! lol Yep

1 Like

Those growers that get a pound plus have a tuned grow or outdoors with a long veg time. There are a number of different techniques and philosophies for producing cannabis at home like SOG. Realistically for an inside grow the metric is one gram per watt of electricity used in lights. If you don’t have an optimized setup with adequate lighting your yield will be far short of that.

I grow on a 4 to 5 month rotation and usually harvest between 8 and 12 oz of dried bud per plant.

2 Likes

So with using a 60w light im looking at about 2 oz… I can be happy with that , lol … I have a single cfl bulb on each @ 60w and will be getting a splitter so I can have 2 on each … There is a 4 foot florescent bulb above them and a single 60w light on the sides of them …

1 Like

Actually I think those lights put out about 12 watts. You can’t go by the equivalent to other lights; which is simply marketing.

@dbrn32 has the lighting stuff down.

1 Like

I topped mine and it’s only 18" above the pot. I’m gonna end up with close to 10oz off it

5 Likes

I wanna say typical cfl grows yield somewhere between .25 and .5 grams per actual watt consumed. There’s always some variables though. And some things can be put in place to really help that along. Let me know if I can be of any assistance there.

And thanks for tag @Myfriendis410

1 Like

BUT BUT BUT , They SAY = 60w !!! I saw it on the internet … IT MUST BE TRUE !!! lol … Yep

2 Likes

Yeah; not so much lol. I got burned on the cheap Amazon LED’s marketed as one thing and turns out they are radically NOT what you expect. So don’t feel bad: it’s all a learning curve. The only difference between you and me is I’ve already spent my money on the wrong things; you haven’t yet.

2 Likes

I have a 150 w HPS light … Think it would help ??

1 Like

Absolutely! Remember: in veg use the metal halide (mh) bulb and the high pressure sodium (hps) for flower. Usually a good idea to replace the bulb after each grow.

2 Likes

Being 5-6 weeks old now , Im guessing mine are in the veg state ??? How long before they go to the flower state ??

They will flower once you switch your light schedule to 12/12

1 Like

So if I keep them on the 18/6 schedule till they get to about 4 feet tall should they produce more by letting them grow ?

1 Like