Trim or not, conflicting advice

This is a photo I am growing using LST to get the bud branches out in the open. It’s is in the 2nd week of flowering. Goes in for 12 dark and on the deck in the sun for the day. Should I be trimming this plant at all? I read so many contradictory articles… u need all the leaves… u don’t need them… trim now …it’s too late… trim 2 weeks before harvest etc… what is the best plan… FYI this plant was marked for death because it was so weak when young. I put it in a 5 gal topped it at the 4th node and tied her down… do or die situation… now look.

1 Like

Welcome to the community ,very nice plant personally I would clean up around the top of the pot take some of the leafs on the bottom of the plant. It will also give you better access for watering and feeding .Other than that I think I’d let it ride seems to be spread out nice and getting good light penetration. Just my thoughts good luck my friend.

4 Likes

Outdoor growing definitely has conflicting information! So I feel you on that.

I know @Cannabian and @Big123 are outdoor growers.

1 Like

Polly was started inside and moved outdoors about a month before she went into flower. I lollipop most of my plants. I remove the bottom third of growth on the plant, stripping the remainder branches of all the little growth. I know it’s hard to understand, but I see increase in yield on my manipulated plants. Polly gave us about 24 ozs.

6 Likes

:astonished: that’s encouraging to me… because I can’t leave the girls alone. I like to manicure them… I like that they reward you for it.

2 Likes

…so removing the bottom leaves and small growth in the early stages of flowering will not stress the plant too much and screw up the flowering stage and bud growth…

These are the 3 sisters. Clones I took at the same time from the same plant.

I let two of them grow and manipulated Tammy.

I got about 50% more from her.

When I harvested them, I kept the 7 largest colas for curing. 5 came from Tammy.

4 Likes

I guess she’s gonna be getting a new hairdo today

2 Likes

I stop any type of manipulation at about 4 weeks in flower. I still defoliate and I have grown some monsters with good potency.

Getting rid of growth that will never realize it’s full potential will redirect the plant’s energy to growth that will. The sooner the better. Damaging the plant in strategic ways will increase trichome production. Again, the sooner the better. Stopping at mid-flower allows the trichomes to age. Nothing you can do to make them age faster so any trichomes produced in the last stages of flower will do nothing but decrease the overall potency.

2 Likes

Awesome… thanks she did just get a haircut but I didn’t go nuts because I figured she might need a Lil recoupe time between… so I guess I will wait a few days before I go further with trimming. Thank you Marine!!

1 Like

Day 21 of flower is a traditional day to strip them down

3 Likes

I super cropped with pliers to keep these under fence height.

I only cut off a few bottom branches that were in the way last summer, I don’t defoliate my outdoor ladies, they can use the leaves for energy if weather turns, and I’m too lazy to lollipop them…

4 Likes

Awesome… thanks… nice crop!!!

1 Like

Your journals make me drool.

1 Like

Thank you for appreciating @Underthestairs I love growing :flight_departure::rainbow::peace_symbol::dash::evergreen_tree::fishing_pole_and_fish:

1 Like

I tried… but I couldn’t click the heart twice

2 Likes