Trichrome and 72 hour darkness question

Hi All,

I’m close to completing my second grow thanks to this site :+1:t6:

May I ask if you guys and girls, think it’s time to start watering with just beneficial bacteria because I was thinking of trying the 72 hour darkness. Or do you think should I wait a week?

Does anyone think it’s worth it?If so, how long after I’ve watered should I put her in darkness?

I’m growing in soil and using the Bio Canna range (organic)

Thanks for any advice :v:t6:

6 Likes

I don’t do anything special the last two weeks other than some sugar in the water so no clue. Your plant looks ready with my bad vision.

1 Like

I can’t tell if you are ready…I just water with straight pH adjusted water for the last week or two and sometimes put them in extended darkness before chopping. I depends upon the timing in the flower room. When I don’t put them in extended darkness before chopping, I do make a point of chopping just before lights on.

4 Likes

Thanks MrPeat,

Why do you add sugar in the last two weeks?

Thanks Merlin,

I’ll check the girl later and if the trichomes have turned amber I’ll put her in darkness. Yes, I did that last time, I cut during “night time”

Thanks for the advice :+1:t6:

1 Like

@BigPerm I use sugar throughout the whole growing cycle. I was running a firework stand this year and a lady told me to add about 2 teaspoons of sugar every 3 days. She said it will help things grow better.

So after I got home, I looked it up. Royal Wueen seeds has an article about it.

3 Likes

Most nutrient lines have a ‘sweetener’ in it: usually low sulfur molasses.

FYI darkness does not increase potency. What you are doing is separating residual salts in the canopy from the finished flower. The root mass stores salts and sugars during darkness in preparation for another day of growth. By extending darkness those salts are sequestered in the roots and when cut down is removed. It makes a huge difference in the quality of the smoke.

13 Likes

I’ll add that to my reading list and something I’ll try next round. Thanks again

1 Like

Thanks @Myfriendis410 I knew it won’t increase potency, I just wasn’t sure if I should try it. I’ll give it a go and hopefully make for a smoother smoke. I cured for 3months last time so hopefully this will improve my bud

1 Like

A good water only with darkness can shorten cure times down to a couple of weeks as well.

My goal is to harvest something that smokes like Unicorn farts haha.

I would also do a bud wash. Look up Jorge Cervantes on that subject on Youtube.

7 Likes

:rofl::rofl: thanks matey

I’ll take a look when I get home. Although washing my weed sounds to scary for me haha

1 Like

pics show major cloudy color on the trichomes.

If you aren’t sure; take one branch and soak it for 6 minutes in 1/4 cup 3% peroxide and 1 quart of water (or liter haha)

3 Likes

What is a good temp for the dark period

1 Like

Whatever your night hours temps would be is fine. I also run a dehumidifier flat out the last two weeks to drive the RH down as low as possible. THAT will push more trichomes.

5 Likes

Guess i got lucky with the humidity, natural been down 20%and under

2 Likes

That’s great! You should have some lovely frost.

1 Like

Haha! Those damn conversions, always a pain :wink:

I’ll give it a try and I’ll let you know the outcome.

Only on my second grow, first 4 plants I did the wash , no ill effects to the bud that I can tell.iam fighting spider mites at the moment and iam ready to chop, will be washing all plants from now on. I was very hesitant to try it, but all was good

1 Like

I would spike the stalk and give ice baths every night before lights go out i used to do extend darkness now i just unplug the lights the night before and then harvest in the morning. Ice baths really shows the trichomes explode on the 3rd or 4th day for me
Here’s pictures of what ice baths did to my buds

4 Likes