Trichome Maturation 101

Hello Bud Experts,

I currently have a white widow photo sensitive plant nearly ready to harvest, but can’t seem to get the trichomes to turn from cloudy to amber. The plant is growing in an RDWC system in a 2x4 tent under an HLG300 rspec light at 100%, 12 on/12 off. 5.8 pH, 68 deg water. I’m using General Hydroponics nutes and I’m following their 6 “flavor” feeding schedule—now to the point of just providing Micro, Veg, and Flower nutrients in a small dose. I’ve been at this stage for 3 weeks now and the trichomes aren’t turning amber. Do I keep providing nutes or do I eliminate them and flush with plain water only? Will the trichomes ever go amber on a white widow? Note: the plant is quite large, filling the 2x4 tent wall to wall as I let it veg for quite some time.

Thanks!

1 Like

Flowering for 3 weeks?

1 Like

How long has it been actually flowering. ?
Do you have a picture of one of the buds? Full bud and maybe a close up?
Lol…How often we think alike is scary @MidwestGuy

2 Likes

No, she’s been flowering for 9 weeks.

1 Like

We’ve seen some plants take 12 weeks to ripen trichs. Doesn’t happen often, but it does happen.

2 Likes

100% seems really high for the last couple of weeks. But i am a newbie. Hopefull soneone that knows better will explain. Best of luck. Happy Growing!

By the way I’m in that same predicament all cloudy just patiently waiting on a touch of amber.

9 weeks is about when I start checking. If that’s from the time you flipped schedule then its probably like 8 weeks. No matter what the actual time is waiting for amber is a test of patience sometimes. It can come on fast so just keep watching.

2 Likes

We’re both in the group that likes helping the newer posters. We get the same questions over-and-over.

4 Likes

Same here. Waiting is the hardest part!

1 Like

Not that difficult at all when i see my buds getting thicker and fuller! I love it!

2 Likes

It’s hard to get good pics with an iPhone—their auto focus is terrible for macro photography, so apologies for the quality. Also included the feeding schedule—she’s been in the “Ripen” stage for the past 2 weeks and I’m wondering if I should maintain that or move along? 100% is too intense…decrease to what?

@Myfriendis410 @dbrn32

2 Likes

I have bought my self a cheap jewlers loupe and it actually is much simpler to see for yourself whats going on. I purchased several of those 30 dollars devices and yes they are good but still difficult to use at times. Only issue with the loupe is you have to trust your own opinion as to when they are ready to harvest. They look amazing by the way! Great job!!

Looks great. Just a matter of time till amber shows up.
Few plants make it to this age without leaf issues. You have done great.
If you wanted to harvest an early one for testing it would not hurt a thing.

3 Likes

@MidwestGuy @Spiney_norman, the help I receive on this forum is unbelievable! I so appreciate all the advice. I’m just a grower to keep my wife with a supply. It’s amazing what a few YouTube videos and this forum can teach you!

4 Likes

This is a really good channel.

3 Likes

Same here.
An ounce would last me a year, maybe two. But she uses edibles and vapes so it takes about 2.5 ounces a month to supply her.

3 Likes

You are doing awesome! Go put your buds in the contest for bud of month. Happy Growing!

3 Likes

Thanks! There have been a couple mini- harvests for testing purposes. So far, my wife has only tested the sugar leaves after drying them for a week. :wink:

1 Like

Same here. I grow for 2 Nephews, a friend, and myself. I don’t smoke that much, so a grow goes a long way.

1 Like

Same here, I don’t use it at all, but my wife does. She loves one brownie a day, and a few tokes.

2 Likes