Trichome color and appearance

Good day to you all!

I have two GG4 autoflowering plants that sprouted on May 29th, 2022. I’ve been watching the color of the trichomes lately and they’re still clear. This is my first successful grow. I want to learn how to grow really well so that when I start using photoperiod seeds I don’t mess up and ruin weeks or months worth of growing. I have an LED x60 jeweler’s loupe that I use. Thanks in advance for your answers to my question.

@Graysin thanks for helping me a little bit last week!

So, my question is, how long does it take for the colors of the trichomes to change?

1 Like

Trichomes will start turning during the very last weeks of flowering.

1 Like

How many weeks of flowering for the GG4? Is there a section in ILGM that shows this info. I’m pretty new to serious growing and I almost feel like an idiot sometimes.

Most strains will mature the trichomes in 8 to 10 weeks, give or take. It’s just not possible to nail it down more precisely.

2 Likes

Thank you for your info! I’ll keep a diligent eye on those little girls!

1 Like

2 Likes

Here’s you an example. This GG auto has been flowering for 7 weeks, and no amber trichomes yet. I posted this on the autoflowers section and was told a couple more weeks.

3 Likes

Most certainly!

A long time. Think of it like growing a fruit of pretty much any kind. It will emerge from the tree or plant as a tiny little nub, and grow over time. I have an apricot tree and it always kills me to watch them grow because it’s dreadfully slow. They begin as small green balls and grow grow grow into a ripe apricot about the size of my palm - not massive by any stretch, and it takes a solid 3 months from the moment I see the small green balls form.

Trichomes are the same - you’ll see the “frost” really emerge and kick into high gear sometime between 3 and 5 weeks of flowering, depending on the strain and phenotype more than anything. Once you have the “first trichome sighting” get ready to hurry up and wait. That’s the equivalent of the small green apricots. 6-8 weeks from the beginning of flowering is not unusual at all.

To answer your other question about whether there’s info online about what to expect, the answer is yes!
Check it out:

Pretty much embedded in the GG4 seed sale page, scroll waaaay down. Gorilla Glue Autoflower Seeds For Sale | Buy Online >>> ILGM

By the way, I take “ready to harvest in 10-14 weeks” to mean 10-14 weeks from the day you saw the first pistil emerge, not from the day you planted it. Others’ experiences may vary, but that’s how I set my expectations for autoflowers.

3 Likes

We’ll this make a lot of sense! When I saw 10-14 weeks I jumped right on it. Now everytime I go outside for a quick smoke I find myself staring at each bud with my little lighted loupe! Waiting with bated breath! Thanks buddy for your reply!

3 Likes

Seeing these picture eased my mind some! I’ll keep checking and waiting. Thank you for your reply.

1 Like