Treating mold in hydro

A question from a fellow grower:

I was wondering what do you guys use to treat fungi/mold in a hydro setup. I started from seeds and in my 2nd week of veg in an aeroponic system (Golden Grow). I noticed I have some green fungi starting to grow in some of the 3-inch rockwool. It doesn’t look like it has taken control of the plants yet but I need to start some sort of treatment ASAP. If the fungi is visible on the top of the rockwool does that mean it permeated into the rockwool? Do I need to throw this out and start over or can I treat this? Also I think I have tiny little black mold spores starting. The Marijuana Plant Protector System… would this work for Hydro? How much do I add to my reservoir? The instructions on your site look like it’s for a soil system.

light is the issue you need to keep light off the rock wool this is why lecca or hydroton is used algae is a plant it needs light cover it with foil or anything which isn’t organic it will die off. If it is mold h2o2 or hydro guard would be a good start Using Hydrogen Peroxide in your Hydroponic Garden - Step by Step Hydroponics
if running organic product line add bene bacteria to prevent rot or mold issues they will feed off bad bacteria[quote=“ClaireILGM, post:1, topic:5960”]
The Marijuana Plant Protector System… would this work for Hydro? How much do I add to my reservoir? The instructions on your site look like it’s for a soil system.
[/quote]

many growers here use hydro and the instructions would be the same for either system since it’s the media that needs to be treated but algae is a hydro issue more than soil as well your rock wool may be getting too wet which will lead to other issues lecca under around and over rockwool prevents all of these problems. It prevents rockwool being directly misted and wicks enough moisture to keep plant happy while staying dry enough on the top to not sustain growth of bad things :slight_smile:
Good luck hope some of this info is helpful

1 Like