Transplanting in fabric bags

I just noticed this today. The roots are growing right through the fabric bags. I have never used fabric bags before. Can I just leave the bag on and transplant to 5 gallon pots or should I remove them.

I didn’t think the roots would grow through the bag

@raustin @BIGE @WickedAle @Sirsmokes

3 Likes

D oh know what the material is? How much larger is the pot you are transplanting to? I would be worried the fabric is to tight to allow good root transfer. You might damage roots pulling the bag off but you would be better off doing that then having the roots bind up in in the bag if it is tight weave non-degradable material.

1 Like

Just strip the bag off and live and let live… plant will be fine… trust me… shedding roots won’t kill them , contrary to belief… :wink:
I have went root cutting crazy before… just like the leafs… no more then 1/3 plant material… roots as well… :wink:

:v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

I have cut roots in my aeroponics systems with good results. I just thought these fabric bags where impenetrable like my 5 gallon bags
@peachfuzz

1 Like

So what you have started? Link to the journal? I want to watch.

2 Likes

I agree. I hack the shit out of my hostas and they grow back bigger. When transplanting other plants thay actually suggest disturbing the root ball to get the plant to throw more roots.

1 Like

I haven’t started a journal yet but here is what I got going.

just feed them yesterday for the first time so they look a little yellow.

I have 4 blueberry 2 banana kush and 1 GSCE

6 Likes

Nice start!! I’ll keep my eye out for the journal.

1 Like

I’ve only used cloth and haven’t had that problem. Your not even in flower yet and it’s already happening. How wide are your pots?

1 Like

I have roots growing out of my 7gal bags. I too was surprised. I thought the bags were “self pruning”.

3 Likes

They are one gallon fabric pots. I looked back at the description and they are made of non woven fabric - felt. They say they help the roots from circling and the transplant rate is high.
They are porous enough that I think I will just cut off the handles and leave them on

2 Likes

I’d still yank the pots. It will still inhibit root growth.

I would just drop it into a bigger fabric bag with soil, let the roots grow through into that larger bag.

If i absolutely had to take the bag off then i would cut it off.

1 Like

Sometimes the roots have to be exposed to air for sometime before they “self prune” but you won’t find roots circling around a fabric pot which gives them much more leeway on getting root bound

Thank you. I am planting these into a hard sided 5 gallon pot. Im not sold on the fabric pots yet

2 Likes

I dont keep mine in 1 gallon pots for long. It’s always been 3 weeks but it seems pointless to use because of recovery time after transplant. But then again, small plant in a big pot seems a waste also.

1 Like

That is bizarre. I’ve been using fabric pots for years and I’ve never had that happen. I’m not really sure what’s best to do, leave them on, or cut them off. I think I’d just plant them with the pots on.

3 Likes

i want to use pots like those for a sog grow, narrow and tall and line them up a close as possible.

it hadnt occured to me the roots may get that far out of thd bag

1 Like

I have 5 gallon bags that don’t do this. Theses are made of felt and are very porous. I thought when I bought them that they where like my 5 gallon bags.

I believe what we are seeing is a difference in quality. The pots in the first photo in this thread look practically like speaker cloth. Mine look like very heavy felt. Perhaps people should post whether they have seen this issue or not and the brand of their fabric pots. If you don’t know the brand, you could post the vendor you purchased them from. Like this:
Issue: NO
Brand: Unknown
Vendor: Growers House

3 Likes