Transplanting from 3 gallon to 5 gallon cloth grow bag

Ok poor planning on my part. But has anyone had success or transplanted a GG in week 6 of veg? From 3 gallon to a 5 gallon grow bag and still able to flip to 12/12 without bad results from the strees? Soil is foxfarm happy frog, and nutrient im using foxfarm dirty dozen. My lights are Mars 2000 and in that 7ft tent my temp stays 75 day 68 night with 50/60% humidity. Thanks…

There isn’t an issue transplanting assuming you can get it out of the 3 gallon grow bag. I upsize from 3 gallon pots to final pots all the time, but my 3 gallon pots are plastic and the plants come out easily.

You would want to veg a few more weeks so the roots have a chance to fill out before flipping.

3 Likes

Yea thats my problem it’s a grow bag, horrible planning on my part. I know they really grip in the grow bags.

1 Like

Welcome to the community ! I know what you mean , Last Resort you can always sacrifice the bag use a razor knife and split the sides. I’ve never tried stitching one back up but I guess it’s possible.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community!
Cutting it might be the best option.
I grow in plastic starting out, then transplant into fabric.
At least now you know though. :sunglasses: Happy growing!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum DirtyBiker74 I agree cutting the bag is the best solution if one is needed at all. Depending on the size your looking to grow and strain but I grow indoor in 3 gallon pots and grow 3 footers regularly

1 Like

I’ve transplanted from 3 to 5 gallon grow bags. It’s a bit of work, but doable. I take a long knife and run it around the whole plant, between the soil and the fabric. Make sure the knife is long enough to reach the bottom of the grow bag. Then use your fingers to push up the bottom to loosen it. I can then pinch the bottom seams and push till soil mass gives a little. Then slowly work the bag down until you can pull the soil mass out. I’ve never had any issues with this.

1 Like

I actually didn’t think about cutting the bag :joy:. Thanks you all for the advice im planning on putting them in 7 gallon bags. I just want to not waste any space in my 4×4×7 tent.

When i pull plants from the bags i just lightly rub my hands aroind the bag with slight pressure ull feel ur fingers sink a slight touch i do that all the way around the bag and bottom a bit then i pull the plant and have my wife grab seams of bag on bottom and pull slowly. Only thing comes loose for me is a small layer on the top of the plant whick is super minimal dont harm any roots or anything. Just make sure when u run the sides u get a slight pressure so the root ball.is a hair smaller than the pot so it slides off. It will still be a snug slide but itll work

1 Like

In all of my experiences with trying to transplant out of cloth bags it doesn’t end the best my best advice cut the old 3g bag to get the pot out if not its going to be hard getting the plant out sense roots grow into the cloth bag

1 Like

I would leave it in the original as your only going to grow what 4 footers?

1 Like

Yea you normally want to avoid many transplants , she will be ok

1 Like

When I go from 5 gallon to 30 gallon I use one of those 10 gallon plastic mixing buckets from lowes and hd. I turn plastic bucket upside down set the 5 gallon fabric pot on top and pull the fabric pot inside sideout going down the bucket.

1 Like