Transplanting autos

Hey everyone just want to clear the air on this. So I’m reading that you should plant your autos in the pot they will harvest in. So that means you can’t really put them in nutrient rich soil because it will obviously burn it to death so is this incorrect? Or should you use potting soil that contains no nutrients and start feeding when required? I started my northern lights auto in a small pot with fox farms Light warrior but this isn’t a ideal soil for the whole plants life right. So I have to transplant. It’s a rather small pot 6cm or so. My grow box will only fit a 2 gallon pot so is it worth growing it now? What soil would be recommended for the whole life of the plant? I plan on putting it in in some big rootz king soil once it’s strong enough and ready for food.

Light warrior in seedling container with no bottom

Mix with ffof for outside and middle layer and ffof for bottom layer

1 Like

I used FFOF in my whole 5 gal grow bag, I started my seeds in jiffy pellets, and put the jiffy’s straight into the 5 gal bags. I may have just got lucky, but I had no issues that I know of… I really wasn’t crazy about the jiffy pellets though, but 4 out of 5 seeds popped and are still growing 50 days later…

Layering your soil will also work, so it grows on top in seedling soil, and as it grows, will reach the nutrient soil…

1 Like

Im going to start my seedlings in a solo cup with FFHF, then transfer to a 3 gallon fabric pot filled half with FFOF, then layer the top half in FFHF.

1 Like

Why no bottom? Just use a solo cup and then use a razor blade to slice down the side and across the bottom when you transplant.

1 Like

Lol or not

They say it’s not good to but I do it all the time and haven’t ran into any issues as long as you do it before it gets to big I start mine in a solo cup after they pop open

1 Like

And then I transplanted the 3 gallon smart pot usually just depends like this time I started to directly in the pot and I use Foxfarm as well

1 Like

So I just realized the small pot has pretty big holes in it so the roots will probably grow through them. I’ll just bury it half way in the 2 gallon pot, so maybe I can get away with not transplanting it. I only have this one northern lights so I don’t want to mess it up. I have one plastic 5 gallon plant bag I just found earlier maybe that’s a better option rather than using the 2 gallon plastic pot. I could squeeze 3 gallons of dirt in there thanks for the idea ron330 I should probably invest in some cloth ones I could probably mold it to fit in the grow box. Also thanks everyone for your input. Also I started mine in a rapid rooter. It’s doing really good so far.

If you use A 5 gallon you have to be very careful not to overwater

2 Likes

Yeah I’m only gonna put 3 gallons worth of soil and maybe cut the excess off because my box is only 4ft tall and I read that any more than 3 gallons is kind of a waste

1 Like