Transplant Info Please

I need some help, please. First time grower. I got my white widow seeds germinated in moist paper towels and put sprouts in moss cups. The seedlings are growing but are long and spindly…2 to 3 inch long stalks and a few leaves on top. I want to plant the peat moss cups in a bigger pot. SHOULD I PLANT THE SEEDLINGS DEEPER IN A LARGER POT AND SHOW ONLY AN INCH OF THE SPINDLY STALK ABOVE THE POTTING SOIL? WHAT WILL MAKE THE STALK GROW THICKER AND STRONGER? THE CURRENT SPINDLY STALKS ARE NOT STRONG ENOUGH AT PRESENT TO GROW STRAIGHT UP….THEY ARE LAYING OVER ON THE SIDE OF THE PEAT MOSS CUPS. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I honestly don’t want to attempt this one as I am on my first grow as well. There can be a lot of factors at play, but usually seedling issues are water or light, too much or not enough of one or the other or both. I tagged a few people who have way better knowledge than me. Happy growing!!!

@Underthestairs @anon86641082 @TEGRITY @oldmarine @PurpNGold74 @AfgVet @Calizona

2 Likes

Absolutely.

Not good. Transplant now.

3 Likes

Thank you very much.
Take care, Earl

1 Like

When I transplant the peat moss cups , how much of the stalk should remain above the peat moss line??

2 Likes

You can definitely bury them a little deeper. Leave them about an inch or two above soil line

2 Likes

Get them transplanted. Bring soil up to 2/3 the way up the stem. GENTLY pack. Be a little stingy with water.

2 Likes

However you do it, just make sure the leaves clear the soil.

3 Likes

Here is a little update on the girl this post was about. Week and a half after her move. Starting to show flower sites. 24 days from sprout. Drumstick is 14.5” for comparison.

4 Likes

2 Likes

I’m not gonna say I super cropped her, because I didn’t. Sorta, kinda, maybe a little, in the ever so slightest cropped her; I could probably plead guilty to that. Gave her stalk one little pinch, just between the single point leaves and her first 3 pointers (not sure which ‘node’ is where you start counting)after her last watering. Made a little pop. Enough to break some of the fibers inside, but not enough to even visually notice.

Plant chiropracty. Nice

1 Like

I planted my seedlings a bit deeper and they seemed to be doing well for a while. Then they started turning brown and dying!! Not sure what I did wrong. The plants are only 1-3 inches high….i would have thought they would be bigger by now….Any ideas or suggestions? Now late august and will have first frost by mid October or November…i may have to move them inside of my garage….if the seedlings live that long. Help, please!!

@firstgrow1 I would hiiiighly advise going to the beginner (green tabs) section of the forum and post a new topic there. Start a whole new one that more people will see. I’m not saying “go away!” or anything like that at all. More people will see it there.
I really don’t know much on your predicament, though, as that was my first (and only, so far) transplant and my girls have stayed relatively healthy. I am actually dropping two more seeds in the dirt this evening.
I hope you get it figured out!!! If you don’t know what to do, try not to get too antsy. A short post or topic on here and somebody will steer you right I promise!!!

Without pictures we can’t help much.

A guess off the top of my head…
Probably over watered in the bigger pot.

But that’s just a shot in the dark.

2 Likes