Training my Harlequin girls

Newbie, to growing and all that goes with it. Any and all information greatly appreciated! Currently growing Harlequin ladies in a 3x3x6 tent with mars light. Im in 3rd week of veg. Want info when and how to train them so i get the best results and most buds.

I have also read something about topping. I was a little confused about that.
Thank you for you help and knowledge! Im growing to help with my health/ chronic pain.

4 Likes

@Kimf5771 Welcome to the Community pool lol! Your plants look good.

3 Likes

@Kimf5771 topping takes a plant that would ordinarily look like a Xmas tree and reshapes it into a bush. You control the height as well for tent situations.

3 Likes

your plants look great , If you choose to top ,snip the last growth at about 6 or 7 nodes for photo plants. Good luck welcome to the community !

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

Keep in mind that training should be done to improve airflow and light penetration.

Your plants are pretty compact. You can encourage them to stretch out by raising your light or turning down the light’s intensity.

2 Likes

Welcome to the neighborhood. You can do some lst now. Tie down and tuck a couple of fan leaves for light and air

1 Like

This GDP was topped to be a manifold. The topping method is the same. Select a node with well developed growth points ( above 4th, 5th node) and cut the main stem.

Where the scissor is are the two growth points I mentioned. They will become the 2 new main stems.
You will have to decide how many branches below where it is topped you keep. If I was not doing a manifold I would keep the sets of growth points at #3 and #4 and remove everything below #3.
This would give me 6 stems / branches. If I had room I could top each again and have 12.
In your case being in a 3x3 with multiple plants, six would be a easy number to work with. You can go eight by leaving another set of growth tips grow out.

Good luck

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the great information and illustrations! Once i top it can i use the cut top to clone it?

1 Like

Yes you can

2 Likes

Make sure the topped piece is large enough to start a clone and small enough that the stress will be managed. I want to excel at cloning, before buying some Harlequin seeds (next fall).

2 Likes

I root my clones in coco. Roll the cut stem in root compound and stick it in.

1 Like

@beardless You’re the man. I do that and ZIP, NADA, NOTHING. Currently 30-ZIP.
Go figure. ten different methods for cloning… still zip. Honestly, still waiting, but ZIP so far.
Should I buy cigars? First a Powerball ticket.

4 Likes

I’m growing some Harlequins too!

Here are my clones if I can get the picture to upload…

4 Likes

Very nice!

I do it about as low tech as you can get. I think I started with 15 cuttings and lost one. I didn’t get it seated in the coco or missed it when watering / feeding. This group pic is from almost 2 weeks ago.

I am happy to help if I can. I do nothing special. Most of the cuttings were taken when I was preparing to flip them.
When I first attempted cloning I asked a very experienced grower which cutting does best / better chance of surviving

If I had to use the bigger one I would remove the set of leaves and growth points just below the top and then cut the stem about in half. The nodes are good root producing areas so that is why you try to make use of them.
If I can help, reach out to me at GDP to start the new year

3 Likes

10 pm tonight Cutting Party at my place.
More fun to be had.

1 Like

Snipped the tips of my big girls today. Can’t believe they are growing so fast! Meanwhile the White Widow has decided to root, but the other Harlequin is just sitting.

1 Like

I know i have come to the right place, everyone is very knowledgeable and helpful! Thank you for your help and all the great information to help me succeed in my growing, cloning… im new to all of this and excited. When you said you were getting ready to flip, what does that mean. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but like i said im very new, but learning all the terminology along the way. Thanks again!

2 Likes

@Kimf5771 hello there. Flipping is a change in the lighting schedule for photo plants, typically backing down from an 18/6 to a 12/12 on off respectively.

3 Likes

@Kimf5771 forgot to mention why. When you take a photo plant down from 18+ to 12 it tricks the plant into thinking the growing season is winding down and forces it into its flower period. You have control of your little lady. If your growing auto plants all bets are off, they flower whenever they feel like it. It could be as little as 2-3 wks or as many as 17-18 wks. Seen some craziness on that subject.

3 Likes