Total time from germination to harvest?

This may be redundant as I believe I may have posted this incorrectly in another forum. I apologize for that.
Anyway Greets to all,
I have been on several sites and read many post from noobs and the one question that seems to befuddle many are the total growing to harvest times. I know this may seem like a silly post but it also seems to be a predominate question and has been confusing for many new growers. I see here in the seed details that it list the flowering period which is good but it does not mention the vegetation period. This is misleading many noobs to think the total growing period is much shorter than it actually is. I was thinking it would be nice to either post the Total Germination to Harvest time or perhaps add a Vegetation time prior to Pre-flowering. Example: Germinate to pre-flower 5-6 weeks, Pre-flower to harvest 9-10 weeks,
Total time 14-16 weeks. This is just a thought and I apologize if I have missed something.
Peace
:wink:

4 Likes

Veg time can be very different depending on many many factors, the biggest being how big you want the plant to get. The more veg time you give the plant the bigger it will grow, it is that simple in most situations. It will vary most between different strains and if grown from seed or from clone. Outdoors many strains may be grown in the “veg” state for as much as 6 months or more.

Most people will veg until the plant is approximately half the overall size they want the plant to be when it finishes as the plant will continue to grow and stretch about another third to about twice its size after flowering is initiated.

2 Likes

Thnx Mac for the helpful reply. I hear so many different ideas and opinions out there on the net and it can confuse or corrupt depending on what it is. I have heard that plants need to mature to a certain level before flowering, have alternating nodes, and all kinds of things that at first make sense but in reality may not apply. Your answer I understand and also explains why just the flowering period is usually listed.
Peace

Yes, when growing from seed, you do need the plant to be at a certain level of maturity and have a few sets of mature leaves with alternating nodes, but this can be as few as a couple of weeks with a good healthy growing plant, but otherwise it is mostly about how big over all you want the plant to be when it finishes.

In the link below, and I pasted some of the info so you don’t have to follow the link, you will see some info about growing a number of plants in a limited area. As you will notice, the more plants, the less vegetative growth they are given as they can not get as big as when growing fewer plants per the same area. Hope this also helps to illustrate the point.

http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/community/topic/one-hps-light-per-how-many-plants/#post-26461

Depending on how you grow, train and prune you can squeeze the following number of plants under a 4 foot by 4 foot area with intense lighting:

25-36 four liter/one gallon pots, 5-7 days vegetative growth
9-16 eight liter/two gallons pots, 10-14 days vegetative growth
6-9 twenty liter/five gallon pots, 14-28 days vegetative growth
4 forty liter/ten gallon pots, 21 to 42 days vegetative growth
1 or 2 eighty liter/twenty gallon pots, 28 to 56 days vegetative growth

1 Like

How long from germ does it take before you start seeing it sprout? It has been 3 days since my seeds cracked in germination. How much light should I be giving them?

1 Like

So being under the light for 24 -7 for three months before I switched to bloom wouldn’t hurt it?

1 Like

how long does it take for a plant to grow about one third to twice it’s size after the veg. state and start to bud?

1 Like

No, won’t hurt at all.

Most stretch occurs about the first 2-4 weeks after the flip to 12/12.Most of that noticeable size increase will be done in about the first 2 weeks after flip.

Happy flowering,

MacG

1 Like

BTW, welcome to ILGM!
~MacG

1 Like

Welcome to ILGM @parishef :wink:

which light do I use after the 24hr. grow light,flowering or fruiting to start the budding process.

Current grow. About 2 weeks from harvest dropped seeds end of oct.

A couple days ago. 20200227_170259|666x500
so that’s 4.5 to 5 months roughly

1 Like

I have been growing Vegs all my life and I am a senior citizen and always told I have a green thumb so 4 years I have grown inside and out so 8 grows for cannabis and i feel it depends on the strain,conditions and I live in a cold climate and have been very lucky as my outdoors grows have been fantasket the sun beats all as long as you pay attention and keep a close eye for problems and yes I have had some but have taken care of each and have had really terrificic grows so far if anyone beginning has a problem I would be happy to try to help