Topping Question ( or fimming)

So I cannot find a clear answer and I’m assuming it’s dealers choice but here goes.

I am growing my first photos now and since I was scared to stunt my autos I am wanting to beat these photos like they owe me money :rofl: ( not quite that bad but I am not scared to try things this time).

My question is when topping or fimming do you still perform LST or does topping / fimming cause the even canopy?
Just trying to figure out what I want to do and if I do top or fim do I also need to do LST and how would I perform it with all the extra tops etc?
Any info would be greatly appreciated. You guys rock

6 Likes

Topping and fimming will cause the plant to have more colas and not a main cola and allows the side branches to “catch up” to the tops and creates a more even canopy. You can always LST, cupercrop or train any other way you please with photoperiod plants when they’re in veg. Then flip when you have the shape you want and you can train up until the branches harden off (usually a couple weeks into flower). :call_me_hand:t3::v::bear:

8 Likes

Here is an example of some extreme LSTing. I top the plants once at a young age just to get that double stalk. Gives me twice as much to play with. I sure do love me a big bush of a plant.

7 Likes

@hippierunner1 beautiful girls!

3 Likes

Love your garden @HippieRunner1

3 Likes

See here is my ultimate dilemma. I enjoy LST and I have had great results, the one was my first grow where I was still learning and the one just hitting flowering is my newest LST attempt. I have been able to create more or less an even canopy and with lots of pretty even same sized colas

My real question I guess is will topping really give me more than doing LST? As you can see on my new girl I’ll have quite a few bud sites popping up right now and should all be even. If that makes sense? ( And yes I know I have some deficiencies it was my 24 hour experiment that I just ended)

1 Like

I think overall it’s growers choice. I feel like plants only have so much energy to dish out regardless of what approach one takes. Maybe try alittle experiment and see what results you like best.

When one is first learning a new growing technique there will always be a big learning curve. You may super crop ect. this grow and not see the results as if you did it the following grow. Simply because you are still learning.

I have found LSTing to be the best option for me and the style of plant I’m trying to achieve. Sorry kinda just rambling on :slight_smile: I sure do love cannabis :slight_smile:
Happy farming…

3 Likes

Thank you for the input and I agree, I think part of the reason I fell in love with growing so fast is there are so many ways to do it. What I like to do or what nutes or mediums or even what strains I like all vary. I may stick with LST because I’ve had good luck with it and I enjoy all the hands on time with the plants.

2 Likes

If you do not use some kind of stress training, your plants will be weaker with less yield.
LST = Bigger stronger stems = Bigger stronger buds = happy growmie!!

3 Likes

Hi i do lst training and fimming to all my plants whether there autos or photos fimming is less stressful for ur plant and with fimming you get more new branches then what u get with topping ive had great success with doing this method

This is my auto ive fimmed three times already and it has lst training

1 Like

This is my 30 some day old Sour D auto that I’ve been training since early on. It has so many bud sites I think I’m just going to stick with LST. I seem to have it down pretty well and I’m not sure it would be more beneficial to top because A. I don’t think I would end up with more sites anyways and B. This girl is Huge and it’s an auto in a 3 gallon pot vs my photos in 5 gallon pots so if it did end up being even bigger I’m not sure I would have room :rofl:

2 Likes

@GrowingIs4Everyone check out @kaptain3d house of pain. He brings it to the next level

1 Like

You did a great job on her. Even if you try to make more tops, they’ll only end up being smaller.:nerd_face:

:+1:

1 Like

Gotta love that LST.
Happy farming…

2 Likes

She’s a beauty! :heart_eyes:

Will you defoliate/lollipop under the net :thinking:

1 Like

Over time yes. I go more with a natural selection approach. The plants know when to shed the leaves and allow them to die off. You can notice simply by the colors changing in the foliage.
Once I see this happening I will remove the dying, damaged or dead leave. Anything that shows signs of minor pests I remove from the garden. The rest are used as a mulch.
I do trim up the interior of the plant a bit.

2 Likes