Topping / Defoliation Questions

This is month 1 of veg and I just topped it. How should I remove these huge fan leaves I don’t feel right removing them they have such huge stems on them that the plant grew a support system for them should I just leave it alone and flip it into flower and only defoliate halfway throughout flower

2 Likes

Those very bottom leaves and the branches can go. They won’t produce much. From there, you can tuck the large leaves under branches.

2 Likes

If you run out of room to tuck the leaves, or they just take up too much space, you can clip them at the base.

1 Like

Aw man you live and you learn I hope this girl makes it ahhaha I got way carried away and she’s naked just tops and she’s leaking from each place I cut from I’m doing a little training now just hoping for the best but with the growth it had in that little amount of time I think it’s going to bounce back fast and be a bush like the one I have next to it in picture #2

6 Likes

This is all just my bro science and opinion but I don’t usually take too much off so early I do a lot of training with tie downs. I do get aggressive with those big fan leaves though if they are covering nodes where bud sites will be.

It all started with 5 big ones and I was like ehh one more … and ya it’s a stick now ahhahaha

How do you think it’s going to turn out do you think it will bounce back ?

2 Likes

@Cody25 If it’s a photo it should recover given enough time.
If it’s an auto ur gonna have a small one at harvest.
It will spend most of its growing time in recovery mode and probably flower small as a result.
Good luck.
I see brother OG with some words of wisdom chiming in. :wink:

:v:

4 Likes

Whoaaa, way over done Grow Bro and sending some good vibes her way.the LST is opposite of what you want to achieve as in bend and tie the top over so the lowers can catch up, train so that you get all the growth at an even canopy, you want all those bud sites getting even lighting. Just my 2 cents :love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

We have the ESPN thing going on Brother :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Yeah I forgot to ask if an auto or photo period. Hopefully it’s a photo period :pray::love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Zoiks Scoob! Ya, those big ol leaves are like solar panels. I only tske them when they’re really in the way.

4 Likes

Bending…not cutting much at this stage is best @Cody25

2 Likes

It’s a White Widow Feminised How much time should I give it it’s 1 month old. And how long should I leave it steaked down like that should I leave it that way until harvest?

2 Likes

@Cody25 just guessing , I’d say ur gonna need at least a couple weeks to get her rollin again.
Watch the amount of water you give it too.
It won’t draw nearly as much as it was taking without all the leaf there.
Have patience. They’re tough. :grin::+1:

After things get back on track then I’d try a bit of lst with the top to even your canopy like @OGIncognito mentioned above.
Maybe loosen the side branch clips a bit to let the tips clear the pot for now.

If you’ve got some honey or aloe around you can dab the cut points to help with the healing time too. It will lessen the bleed out and help maintain the upward flow of goodies to the top.
Think of trying to drink with a straw with a hole in it. You have a harder time trying to get a drink. Same thing for the plant.
The honey / aloe is like putting your finger over the hole in the straw.

Good luck friend. :crossed_fingers:

:v:

Edit : @Cody25
Try not to open duplicate threads on the same subject. :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for all the help guys sorry about the duplicate threads!

2 Likes

I never considered that, nice pointer Brother :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

That was a heavy defoliation :wink: if she’s a photo. She’ll definitely bounce back no problem once they’re going strong and veg I usually trim mine up good every 3-4 days get rid of all the dinosaur fan leaves Cruise the journal you’ll see other examples of a good defoliation that way you don’t overdo it next time

2 Likes

IMO I would pull that main cola down and get it even with your lower branches. The goal is to have the most even canopy you can so each bud site gets an even amount of DLI (light). Other wise wind up with a a massive cola and little larfy popcorn buds on the lower part of the plant.

1 Like

I think I kinda got what you’re saying they’re flush with each other now right ?

3 Likes