Topping autos if yes why if no why

Topping autos why’s and why’s not’s

1 Like

We typically don’t recommend topping autos unless you are pretty familiar with them and/or using a system that would support rapid plant growth. The reason is that topping them has to be timed pretty carefully with plant development. If you top to late could be removing your main cola and not have enough time for replacement colas to develop. Which would leave you with a less productive plant.

6 Likes

Ok thanks. If done correctly will the results be beneficial enough to take the risk

Sorry I meant to ask about super cropping. I read not to but it didn’t give details on why not to from what I’ve seen anyway

The key to auto topping is getting it before it flips to delay the flip until after recovery I like to get it in right as the 5th node develops. I also recommend only doing it if you’re running hydro nutes in coco coir and have a decent grasp on dli or have reliable ppfd charts . This is my first experiment with topping and overall it came out very well

8 Likes

This thread may answer your question.

2 Likes

I don’t supercrop anything unless its an unplanned height management situation. You can though if that’s something you need or want to do.

4 Likes

Thank you. I’m just trying different techniques my first gone be the worst. Come spring I plan to be well on my way to becoming pro

2 Likes

Good idea to try a bunch of methods out, see what works best for you. It’s likely not to be the same as everyone does.

5 Likes

I have done a few Super Crops due to unexpected heights of certain strains. Especially for Sativa dominant plants.

In fact that was my first training I had to do with my GSC Beast. This one got me to join and I wish I would have joined before I decided to grow.

BTW…I’m not a fan of training as I let Mother Nature decide how they will grow. :+1::+1::+1:

5 Likes

Here’s my take, majority Sativa’s can certainly be topped and should be.

I get bushes with White Widow autos topped at the 5th node. Good luck!

3 Likes

So it seems it’s a crap shoot I believe.
Some seem to not mind being topped, super cropped and heavy defoliation.
Others seem to freak completely out if you pull 2 fan leafs the same day :joy:.
That being said, sometimes I do sometimes I don’t.
But never all I’m running and only the hardiest ones.
Sometimes it increases yeild I think and sometimes it doesn’t.

I run autos and experiment with training techniques. Healthy fast growers I’ll usually grow to the 5-6th node and top back to 4-5th. Slow growers are left to just To natural manipulation and LST. Some respond well with no stall and some will stall for a few days. Growing environment has a lot to do with it as well. :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

Really here unless u top and train and keep at it there really don’t seem to be a whole lot of differences. I usually just got to the point with autos that I leave them grow naturally but I will use some lst to pull the main over and let all the bottom stuff grow upwards toward the light. After the 2nd week it should be close to 6 plus inches tall I pull it over as much as I can just leaving enough watering room underneath trim off what’s under the part I pulled down. Only the leaf leave the shoots as they will shoot up with the rest of u pull it to where they see light. Then keep pulling the main down a bit as it grows if it starts to shade too much. The more the light gets to the bottoms the better them bottoms r gonna be. There r tons of ways on getting good plants going with training whether it be lst or hst dimming or topping. I’ve kinda grown away from autos for the time being but should try one again as the temps and all r totally different being cold asf here now lol.

4 Likes

I see most top autos at the 5th node. I use scrogs. So a different set of rules for me. If you are in soil or coco makes a difference on how aggressive you can be from what I have seen. I would go the safe rout if this is your first auto. There are a lot of ways to lst to help you along the way. I use these little guys here and there. They are great to get branches headed where you want :grin: Also, If you want to try and keep things flat for cheap. You can clip a clothes pin to the branch you want to bend down. Careful not to use to much weight. Just enough to get the results you are after.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096VGJC72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

Out of likes but :point_up_2: that’s solid advice. Plants growing in Coco in my experience react better to HST on autos. Safe to try straight LST and grow her naturally. You can get a great harvest this way :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Im a believer in topping autos between days 19-24 and only for vigorous growing autos. I leave the runts alone. In 2 days on day 19 I’ll top this ilgm ww auto.
Going to top it at whatever node it’s at on day 19 then lst the branches. It’ll be documented in my journal called gold leaf redo

4 Likes

I fimmed an amnesia haze auto, right at the 4th node, and she bounced back almost immediately. I’ve been really aggressive with the lst, but she responded really well. I’m growing 3, so fimmed one, topped one, and letting one grow normally, although all 3 have gotten lst to keep them close to the ground until flower. I’ll make sure to keep updating you on how it goes for this strain. Figured being a sativa dominant, it should be plenty bushy enough to get away with it, and I’ve seen others have success with it. This is my first grow, so I’m experimenting a little bit, but have a lot of these seeds left, so want to figure out what they like and don’t like, to ensure a better second round

3 Likes

3 Likes

I just topped this one yesterday. And that is about a week earlier than I normally would. I expect this to start stretching soon since she is on a 12/12 for the whole grow.

3 Likes