Topping-autoflowers by @ruthiej7

I may be on info overload here, but I thought topping autos is a no-no. I use LST on my autos. Am I wrong about this?

3 Likes

Welcome to the community. I let my Autos do what they want to do. Training can stress them out if you get crazy. :+1:

3 Likes

I top most of my autos, the sativas and hybrids mostly for height issues, the indicas I let go naturally. I have stunted a couple in the past, but I learned and have gotten better, havent stunted any of them the last couple years (knocks on wood)…

4 Likes

I have tried topping, LST, HST(supercrop) and just letting them go natural with autos.
I see definite benefit to topping combined with LST vs any other one by it’s self.

4 Likes

Thank you so much! They have done well with just LST. :woman_shrugging:t4:

3 Likes

Yikes! I’m scared to top them. Hmmmm……something to think about.

2 Likes

I’ve topped all my autos except one. They’ve all taken it well.

7 Likes

This is my 4th grow, and seem to be getting better each time, but have had low yields. I’m on week 11, and they still need more time, I think. Trying to get some decent pics. Obviously, 2 of these pics are under grow light. HOW do you all get such GREAT pics with your phones???:exploding_head::woman_facepalming:

I

5 Likes

I’ve topped White Widow and Big Devil and had great results, more yield

3 Likes

Only burples and hps/mh bulbs look off in pics due to the light. I use a hps bulb and I have to turn my light off and use a cfl light to get decent pics. Your using burples? That might have something to do with your yields. I had 2 burples and everyone talked me out of them thats how i started here.

3 Likes

Proper lighting is the #1 priority for good product. You can just use shit and sand in a solo cup and grow great weed if you have good lights.

3 Likes

Autos you can top some like it and some dont lst training is really good for them the only thing you dont want to do is main lining cause the autos dont have much te to recover from main lining

2 Likes

You can definitely top autos and lst

1 Like

Yes you can lst and top autos ,heres mine ive done alot of lst training but i dont top

3 Likes

Ok, now I feel really dumb. Burpees?? What the heck is that? The brand name of my light? Lol I’m so sorry, lighting has been my biggest issue. I’m SO glad to be here! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I read and read….and searched and searched to find what light I needed for my grow tent. I kept finding SO many different opinions and had brain overload. I finally purchased my 2nd light just trying to use my common sense. I know the lighting is the #1 component for a good yield. It all sounds Greek to me, and I never could make sense of it.
Wow! I REALLY needed to be on here MUCH sooner! :hugs:

2 Likes

I topped my 2 J. Herer Autos 3 days ago. At 4th node. (Day 17). Also trimmed off 1st node branches…Recovering fine and noticeable growth. (reminds me I need to upload pics to my journal)
Good luck with your grow :+1:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Like everyone said above yes you can top an auto. Usually by the 4-5th node on a healthy plant. However you do run the risk of stunting the plant in some cases. I have stunted a couple while topping but also had some really take off. I am currently only doing lst on three I have going. I believe it’s more of a personal preference on whether to top or not.
I think getting the proper lighting should be high on your list as well. To grow good weed you need good lights! Good job so far.

2 Likes

@Ruthiej7 what lights do you have?

Blue and purple lights= burples
burpes are great exercise lol dont feel dumb no one knows until they learn. There is every answer for cannabis growing here just search or ask.

2 Likes

This is my newest light. 1200 w
It has separate veg and bloom switches on it. No dimmer. Red, white and blue lights. Did I screw myself here?? And……if it’s ok to ask here, when plants are in bloom, do I turn on BOTH switches….Bloom and Veg? I’ve never found the answer to this question. Looks like I FINALLY found the right people here!! Thank you so much in advance! :v:t3::hugs:

3 Likes