Topping;;any thoughts

I was wondering what the more experienced growers have to say about this. I believe that you top at the 5th leave. What do others think or practice? I know you can top after that as many times as you desire but what is or is there a general guideline? Also how hard do most people prune if they do? thanks

Well I am not an experienced grower but i`ll offer my thoughts on the topic. I started topping my plants at the 3rd node. It helped make them short and bushy which is nice if you are growing in a small tent, but on my next crop I think I will hold off on topping until the 5th node so the plants can get some height. As far as how many times you can top a plant, from what I have read on the forums and the internet in general you can top a plant as many times as you want…just give the plant some time to recover from it before topping again. But this is what I have read, so take it for what its worth. Finally with pruning I prune but I do not go very crazy with it. A leaf here and a leaf there from the bottom of the plant and the big shade leafs to open up the canopy for the undergrowth to get light. I do not go to crazy so I don’t shock my plants and do any harm. Again I am not an experienced grower so there might be someone who knows a lot more then me who might disagree with my thoughts on this.

3 Likes

Thank you, this is what I like to hear from other growers, there first hand experience. thanks this hit for you

Your welcome, make that hit a good one…been dry for almost 5 months now. Can`t wait until my plants are ready to smoke…in another 3 months or so. :sob:

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your drought. Can’t fathom being dry that long. May you have a massive and potent grow.

Thanks again, I am just counting down the days with a little help from my backup friends…whiskey and moonshine. :+1:

1 Like

Sounds like we depend on the same back-ups :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :v: :tumbler_glass:

Jack D and Tennessee white lightning. Can not go wrong with that.

1 Like

Good bourbon and my homemade for me, folks round here claim it’s the best that they have ever had :v:

Well for me I have to ration the shine to a degree… its a 13 hour drive to get more. Worst part is the drive through Georgia. Not a big fan of that state, no offense to anyone reading this from that state.

1 Like

That would be a PIA, I guess that I don’t realize that I’m spoiled sometimes. Just a trip to my hiding spot for me it’ll definitely cure what ails ya :v:

1 Like

Well I had a choice, make a closet grow tent or a closet still…I think I chose wisely. I much prefer to smoke then drink, I have had drinking problems in the past.

2 Likes

Right there with you brother. Given the same choice, I would have chosen the same. I already had the second but, wouldn’t fit in my closet, as I seem to overkill everything. I used to be strictly an outdoor grower until a little less than 6 months ago. The indoor thing was a more of a, I’m getting tired of loosing over half my crop to thieves or varmints. Illegal to kill the first still and can’t possibly eradicate all of the second.

1 Like

Me personal I am hoping to save up enough money in the next 2-3 years to buy a house so I can grow outdoors. Living in Florida I get good year round weather and since I am making $20/hour with my job I see it as a good goal.

1 Like

I don’t have the luxury of year round good weather living here in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Seasons can sometimes even be a little wacked out. Like they say here in Virginia, if you don’t like the weather, wait 15 minutes.

1 Like

lol we say the same in Florida. Can be 90 degrees bright and sunny and 15mins later rain for 10mins then followed by 95 degrees with 90% humidity. got to love the swamp.

1 Like

One of my friends has a place down there. His family is originally from there. His last daughter is in her last year of college and he says that he is moving there permanently. Personally, I’m not much on the heat myself, I told him, I wouldn’t be coming to visit until it got cooler. I spent a lot of my younger years in tropic/sub-tropic regions. I don’t have to anymore. What are you doing up so early? Looks like we are in the same time zone

Yea we are in the same time zone, I am a chef by trade so some days I open the kitchen and some days I close the kitchen. So I am just getting myself ready for 2 nights of closing last thing I want is to get up at 8am if I am going to be at work until midnight.

1 Like

Gotcha. I was getting ready to say, I thought that I was the only crazy old f**ker, that was up at this time every morning. I don’t know how y’all do shift work like that. It doesn’t matter how late I stay up or how early I go to bed, I am up at the same time every morning. My wife asks me why I even set my alarm, I’m always up before it goes off. I tell her that’s my fail safe, just in case :v:

1 Like

Culinary is a hard life…I have been awake now for almost 24 hours, you get used to it after awhile. This line of work is why a lot of cooks and chefs have a vice. Drinking, smoking, weed, whatever. Keep this in mind next time you eat out…at least one person who handled your food is or will be on some kind of drug by the end of the day if not sooner. And on that note its bed time for me. peace and grease.

2 Likes