Topping a clone

1st time grower here, I got a clone from my fist grow. Do I top this the same as a regular plant?

5 Likes

yup go right ahead. and make a clone of your clone!

4 Likes

Topping works well but in my experience super cropping works better with clones. I’ll show u one I did recent. Photos go backwards…:drooling_face::drooling_face:
This about 3 weeks worth of growth.

3 Likes

Thanks, good idea! I’ve got a few more so I’ll try both ways and see what happens :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

You gave me that tip a few weeks ago when I was turning to flower mode. That definitely helped with the big ones plus reg. cropping and scrogging has got me here 2.5 weeks into flower mode! Mucho appreciated!!

5 Likes

Absolutely love to help … I been on a grow mission for everyone for a long time. I have always kept to a network until legal…
The vide is so much better now :palm_tree::palm_tree::green_heart::green_heart::100:
Positive stress builds more trichomes :muscle:

3 Likes

I topped my plants last week (clones and seeded). It has taken less than 5 days for all to forgive me and recover or place new growth. I delayed flipping during their recovery (and some are really young 4-8 weeks with some clones that were 3-4 weeks into cloned life). Once upon a time, I did cloning, successfully, for 3 years using Kentwood Artesian Spring water and Fluorescent lights, neither available currently. My current cuttings have yet to successfully clone, and I am unwilling to buy clone kit/machine, at this time. Trying seedling chamber in corner of veg tent with low lighting. Any suggestions or helpful hints are appreciated. Just flashed on using blue filter for seedling mat covered plastic chamber. Worth a try, or its gonna be hard on the volunteers.

Im all about the tieing down and super cropping :grin:.
Topping and FIMing is way over rated imho :sunglasses:

1 Like

I watched a few videos on both and have experiments using both techniques. I did score some good ideas and some good questions. Can’t type well and worse now. Going for pictures and journal time.

1 Like

I do top sometimes, heck i chop plants all to peices, root them and grow them out :rofl:

But alot of times simply bending a plant over and spreading it out just works great if ya got the space to. But alot of times I’ll top to keep them small to fit more to grow multiple stains.

Was that your scavenger hunt clone? Still love that story. Haha

1 Like

I love your enthusiasm and friendly attitude. Great to read your thread. I wish you lots of harvest with those plants. Happy growing to you.

As I am sure you have noticed clones grow differently than plants from seed. The node / leave pattern of clones are usually alternating. While, plants from seed, up to certain age & size, have an opposing node and leaf pattern.

These are two clones I topped 2 weeks ago. I intentionally cut them differently. I am also intentionally trying to keep them small because I am uncertain what I will be doing with them.
This one I cut taller where the distance between nodes was longer and it was well into the alternate pattern. I circled where it was topped.

To keep it small it will need to be topped again. The question is where.

Close up of what is below topping option 2

This clone was more mature than the other. You can see the original cut was just above where the nodes were almost opposite each other.

A little exercise pointing out the differences.

1 Like

Yep… it’s literally going crazy and I’m trying to stall the hell out of it but these genetics are crazy strong. It’s from a local breeding program. I’m in flower on the big tent so got nowhere to go with it until I finish out.
@noddykitty1

2 Likes

Is it ok to take a clone 2 weeks after starting the flowering stage 12/12? Or anytime not to take a clone?

1 Like

Absolutely, I have one on my clone shelf now. Keep in mind it won’t root as fast and will have strange growth while re-vegging. Lots of people take clones then. I generally prefer to take em before but every once in a while I see something in a plant that I want to keep and will clone later.

2 Likes

Well they do say each time u clone a plant it makes for a better product so the more u clone the better it’ll get up to a certain point of taking clones but sure why not take the top 3 or 4 inches off and get it rooting also

2 Likes

I’m about to take 25 clones from my Maui today and get them rooting. Have a lady who wants me to get her some cuts going again this year so Maui it is because she is ready for it lol. She is full. @Not2SureYet this plant is ridiculous lol. It’s a grower for sure. She is pushing thru some shit here. Been 4 days no water in coco and she is still just as beautiful as can be. What genetics was the seed from as it seems to be a good one so far. After I get the clones and clean up bottom of Maui she is going to the spare bathroom to continue vegging. She is gonna be my beast plant lol. She is gonna hang in the bathroom by herself til the gg clones r done and she can be moved to the flower room. Before and after pics of Maui to come when I get my wife up. Lol

2 Likes

@DEEPDIVERDAVE believe it or not, last time I took clones in October, all I did was drop them in a jar of water and put them on my desk near the window. Cut all the tips off the leaves. After about a week, roots started to grow out and I moved to little 4" pots and put them in the tent with my other plants, but farther from the light so not as intense for them.
As long as they are in room temp water and get some sunlight, they will root. Cheap and easy!

4 Likes

Those are OA’s seeds @Mark0427 I have been using my clone king and similar to putting in water like @Spudgunner says. I get great roots in a week. These are my last from a few days ago. They are gone now and I will be starting more tonight.

3 Likes