Tophat’s 2x2 tent

Hell yeah bro

1 Like

I just mixed a batch of jacks to see which way I need to compensate with my water. I mixed 3.8, 2.6, 1.4. My water is ph 8.3 and around 100ppm. The batch of jacks ended up at ph 5.8 and 560ppm. I cut the batch in half mixed one of those halves with ph 7.0 40ppm spring water and ended up with a mix that is ph 6.5 and 370ppm. Does this sound right to y’all? There’s no cal mag or silica added. Either a full strength batch of jacks is actually only like 460ppm without any additives or I need a better ppm meter. Does this sound right? @Graysin @Pinboy @OGIncognito

3 Likes

560ppm seems really low for a full strength mix of Jacks i believe a full strength mix comes out around 950 to 1000 ppm has your tds meter and scale been calibrated at all recently?

It’s an el cheapo from eBay. It’s straight out of the box. If it’s off it’s consistently off across the board. It will re read the exact same number when put into the same solution multiple times. I’m thinking I need a better one. Everything I read says it should be 1000ppm ish too. The scale is new and properly calibrated

1 Like

Yeah biggest thing i learned out the gate with the cheapo meters is 1 they either dont work properly out the box or break realy fast lmao started with the vivosun tds and ph meter combo off Amazon for like 15 or 20 bucks within a month i switched to Apera Instruments specifically the PC60 model its a 5 in 1 unit reads PH,EC,TDS,SA,TEMP the SA is for salinity btw its a great unit comes in a full hard case kit with all the calibrations solutions and a small vile of storage solution for the probe as well

1 Like

It does.

Honestly I haven’t mixed it up and measured it in such a long time. But I did Google the JR Peters feed schedule for Jacks.

The results are as follows: 50 ppm per liter of part A, 100 ppm Part B and 30 ppm Epsom. There’s 3.78 liters to a gallon. That should be ~680ppms if I did decent math.

2 Likes

I followed Koots mixes when i ran Jacks i also came across some really interesting info off a fella on IG he grows im coco and only runs Part A and B with no epsom and produces some beautiful flowers

3 Likes

I have a blue lab ph meter and it works very well. But I’ve been looking at the reviews for the ppm meter and It looks like they are fairly hit and miss? What’s are everyone’s thoughts? I see apera also at about the same price point. I see a lot of people saying you can cheap out a little bit on the ppm meter. Is there a lesser brand that is decently reliable?

1 Like

That’s odd and I would check the TDS pen for calibration. My tap water has a PH of 7.1/70 PPMs. Part A usually comes out around 480 PPMs and after Part B and epson my mix comes out around 5.9-6.1 and 950-1000 PPMs :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

I’ve had my Blue Lab TDS pen for 2 years and love it :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

Is your Part B stored in open air or an airtight container?

If there’s a chance moisture could be getting into where you have Part B stored, it may be absorbing moisture from the air and throwing off the weight measurement. That would explain the proper weights and low PPMs.

2 Likes

It’s in a heavy duty zip top bag.

1 Like

I’m going to guess it’s possible there’s moisture getting in, then. Probably not a lot, but maybe enough to start throwing weight off a smidge over time.

I’m not sure if JR Peters ever really explained what to do about it, except if you’re aiming for 100ppm per liter I can say you want about 378 PPMs of part B. It might be worth mixing up a gallon of water with just Part B and see if that’s what you get if you use 2.4 grams of Part B. If not, that may be the answer.

1 Like

I have a few desiccant packs I can throw in once I put it in jars that should solve any moisture problems. Now that you mentioned it, I got the 6lb kit of eBay which is just someone breaking down and reselling the 25lb bags. There’s no telling what their storage conditions are. Moisture may very well be the issue. I’m glad I mixed a batch up before I needed it… I would hate to be having this problem with a hungry girl waiting.

3 Likes

Day 61 update. I checked again today and all cloudy trichs with a few purple and amber here and there. So, the half that was ripe got chopped, the wound sealed and hopefully she will keep on keeping on.

The top is hanging in my dry box v2. I’ve had low humidity lately so I added a analog humidifier into the dry box to keep it hopefully in range. It may have to come out but for now here we are.

And last but not least, here is the SSH. I may have taken off her humidity dome a little to fast so she’s got a new, larger one. DLI on her is 20ish

4 Likes

Awesome bro i put my girl under 3 days dark today

2 Likes

What do u estimate wet weight at?

This one is gonna be maybe 1.5 oz, which is ok. Im hoping the remaining plant goes hulk now that it’s just those 6 buds on a full sized root system. I’m not so much worried about weight, I’m after quality. After all, I’m just doing this for a personal stash but I do have 3 more seeds of it. If I end up loving it I’ll pop another bean sooner :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Congrats on the partial chop!

2 Likes

@Tophat hows the smell after chop did it get stronger💯

2 Likes