Top your bud week 5 or 4

Time start to top your bud to get it fater week 5 dont remember or 4?

Be Nice to know its realy the Thing.

Let me know groerz

2 Likes

I’ve heard of topping buds in articles or videos, but I’m not aware of any studies to back it up. I know no one who actually does it.

Buds usually swell up fine without cutting them is my experience.

4 Likes

I personally wouldn’t top a formed bud unless there were foxtails. ( Stunting /stalled growth )
Heard you can trim foxtails back and redirect the growth into the buds but never tried it.
There’s a few that have but not sure who.

:v:

4 Likes

Over the years I’ve topped a lot of plants but I have never topped a bud. This would be new to me. Good luck happy growing ! :v::+1:

4 Likes

@Hellraiser does it in one of his journals with good results.

i tried it and got about 50% success rate although i tried with autos. probably better success with photos.

and yes week 4 or 5 is when i did it.

6 Likes

I’ve done it when they have gotten to close to the light and they end up like upside down bowling pins.

2 Likes

That’s also an old trick used by a few beeeders through the years to create something " new" fooled alot of folks too.

I don’t really know to be honest but i can say I have done alot of nugs like this when they would begin to fox tail mid or late flower and it seemed to work :man_shrugging:

Do you mean just topping the plant ?

I tried it once. I forget what they call it but it does make the very top of the bud fatter but not worth it imo.

2 Likes

are you talking about back budding? i did it last gro. jurys still out. seemed to work. going to experiment further this gro

2 Likes

back budding i think

3 Likes

Hellraiser does bud back building. He says week 5 is best he found so far. It is supposed to stop the vertical growth I believe and let it focus on getting fatter not taller or something along this lines. U do see a slight difference between ones topped and ones left alone. I tried it on the Sebring revenge I dropped and the 5 buds I topped did in fact get to be fatter around than the ones left alone.

4 Likes

@Hellraiser has explained this in one of his journals (bud Backing) should be done in week 5 or 6 and the pictures before and after confirmed bigger fatter buds
I followed his guide taking 1/4" off the top of 3 out of the 6 top buds on 2 different BD clones and the results were bigger more dense buds on the ones I back budded
I had 5 BD clones did half backing on 2 plants and on 1 plant did all tops it definitely made a noticeable difference you
could see and feel with just a glance with the naked eye
I will be doing it again
All 5 plants came in after drying to 62 RH between 6.6 and
7.6oz each I will go back later today and update this post to see if the weight was more/less on the plants between the ones I did or did not do

2 Likes

I could not prove any weight difference between the plants related to bud backing I did not keep good enough records
Next clone run I will keep better records
:sunglasses:
Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

1 Like

I have tried it a couple of times. Day 42 they receive a little snip off the top.

It certainly changes the shape. It is rounder and less pointed. From a observational standpoint they look bigger. Are they actually??

1 Like

Good photo you show that make my bud get fater Nice week 5 thanks.
And fun all talk it got hehe.:call_me_hand::dart:

1 Like

Better for bag appeal but I doubt it added any noticable yield increase

1 Like

looking back through my pics of my G13 auto

This is the last photo I had pre-snip Dec-3

Then here is a pic on Dec-8 showing the snip

The snip actually happened Dec-5, which was day 1 of Week 5 of flower

And here is the same bud today, two weeks later

2 Likes

i notice some slight foxtailing (in a good way) around the snip