Top 10 Best LED Grow Lights For Growers in 2018

If you intend to grow for more than 5 years LED are the only way to go, beginning to end. Should head on over to youtube and see Dr Bruce Bugbee. While early on in LED grow lights the double ended hps lights were on par with leds and efficiency… That was ages ago in terms of technology. Short term investment or really high ceilings, hps for sure. Intend to keep growing indoors for years. LED all the way

2 Likes

I’m 64 yrs old and disabled and on a budget, can’t afford the high priced leds. I am a master electrician since the early 80’s and know about lighting, metal halide is closest to direct sunlight.

1 Like

How old?

I have going into flower.
HPS

Foxtail was that cause be excessive heat ?

Don’t know what foxtailing is this is my first time growing I have heard the term tho.

And I wouldn’t go with anything less than a double ended ceramic hps full spectrum in terms of lighting.

But LED is the future and much easier to controll your grow temps with LED also. For instance my leaf temps stay between 73-76 degrees. And my grow tent stays a crispy 74-78. With one cold air humidifier in my lung room keeping things above 60% RH. All these equals to a very nice VPD for veg growth wich is where I’m at in my grow.
I’m 100% all in on LED’s.

1 Like

Metal halide is the least efficient of all three.and hps is the closest to having the correct amount of the blue the sun does whil having plenty of red. Metal halide isn’t considered optimal for any part of a grow anymore. Just two different hps bulbs. One for veg, one for flowering.

1 Like

Foxtailing is when the plants are getting to much light, makes the buds less pretty in some eyes.

1 Like
1 Like

@Budz the way I understand it is when your flowers start to foxtail that you run the risk of the plant seeding out? Is that also right?

1 Like

Not usually. There are people here who run all out, foxtailing or not. Interrupting sleep and other stress adding factors increase chance of herm much more.

1 Like

Ya I will get around to doing some more research I just kinda keep learning as I go. Such is the way

1 Like

Light arrived today. Hope it works

1 Like

Is this a good start as far as the stages of growth go in ppfd?
Seeding stage 200 -400 ppfd
Veg 400-600
Flower 600 - 900
???

Now I need a light meter that measures Ppfd ,
I think I have that correct. A very inexpensive one LOL I spent all my cash on the light. I was thinking I could just run that at 100 percent

Get photone on your phone. If you have an iPhone it’s in the store. I have the beta for Android. Don’t think it’s out of testing yet. I mean im pleased with it. Works better than PPFD, the other app on play store

1 Like

Instead of ppfd can you judge the correct amount of light with just the flux reading. I still haven’t figured it out. Getting to different readings from phototone and the free lux meter so I just gave up. Turned my light down to 60% sometimes 80% and raised it to about 17 inches above canopy. Yes I use the defuser. I’m not even sure what weight paper it is. I don’t have a printer so I don’t have printer paper.
![image|666x500]
(upload://gpvpttetJEGkDRFs1eaGKo4djbq.jpeg)

![image|666x500]
(upload://dHxif1y7wXaQBDmaA92mSPyYIm1.jpeg)

5th week into flower

1 Like

Purple leaf stems ??