Too much pH Down

I had to refill my DWC reservoir. My water has a 9.5 pH out of the tap. I accidentally added too much pH Down and brought the level to 3.3. Is there anything I can do besides pouring out some of the water and adding more RO water?

PH up works well.

I was thinking that, but I read that you aren’t supposed to put both Down and Up into the water.

It can mess with the ph for a little while, but I do and the plants are doing great!

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll give it a shot.

1 Like

I’m starting to think my pH monitor is not working right. I ordered a new one.

@The_Reverend I found the cheapo usually yellow in color ph pens usually need to be calibrated often, and even then i didnt trust the $12 vivosun one. I upgraded to a Aptera ph-60 3 years ago and as long as I keep the probe clean the measurements have been correct the whole time. If it gets too dirty I can to clean and maybe recalibrate. Having a couple of the reference solution packs on hand is a good idea too. I spot check once a week on a liquid test as well to confirm the probe is reporting in the expected range.

2 Likes

That’s funny because I have a VIvosun and just bought an Aptera. Thanks for letting me know I made the right choice. I even tried calibrating it, but the calibrations were off. That thing is messed up.

2 Likes

I also like how much faster the Apera gets to a stable ph reading. I can remember watching the vivosun one bounce up and down and never really settled on a reading. I find if I get lazy and not clean it regularly a scab of like mold grows over a little white spot. Usually that causes the ph to test .2-.3 higher. As soon as I clean that off readings go back to normal.

I’ve dropped it in water a ton of times (the original reason I purchased as I had just fried another cheap $15 meter), dropped it on tile a few times (with the end cap on normally) and still use the original tip. I have heard a few others have broken the bulb in the probe, but I haven’t yet.

1 Like