Too much light? Not sure

Hi guys.
I just built a new room 12x5x7ft. I want to know if the 3x marshydro fc8000s i brought are too much for the room size???

3 Likes

Welcome to the community :blush::v:
I am no light expert but @dbrn32 is the light guru. He can give you advice.

1 Like

Too much light is a problem? I think your issue will be the drivers heating up the room. You can always dial down light intensity but most would prefer more light than not enough as long as its got dial adjusters. The fc8000 covers a 5x5 veg and 4x4 flower. I believe your set

2 Likes

Welcome to your new happy place :blush:
Do you mean you have 3 of these lights?

1 Like

welcome to the community

1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply mate. Yeh sorry my room is 15ft in length. Ive got good ventilation plus its winter time here. Yeh i was under the impression i could turn it down maybe. Its going to be my first indoor grow. I have a mate his got years of experience just not with LEDs.
Im planning to gro 3 plants with scrog… do you see anything wrong woth that idea?

Yes mate. Correction the room is 5ft x 15ft

You should be good on light coverage.

2 Likes

If you can believe the china propaganda of a max of 800 watts. That’s 2400 watts total with three fixtures. Your floor space is 5 x 15 for 75 square foot. Divide 75 into 2400 and you have 32 watt per square foot. The old rule of thumb is 30 watts per square foot from the junk burple light days. With the newer lights and a better understanding of leds now days the rule is fast becoming 40 watts per square foot. Four of those fixtures would be 42.6 watt a square foot which would be great! You can never have to much light. But you can have not enough control and understanding of light. Good Luck!

1 Like

Thankyou for sharing your knowledge with me. Yeh im just getting started. I read alot and i love to learn and challenge myself to be better.
So the fc8000 are… good for my space or bad?

There is no real good or bad. Do you understand the math? Look at there own spec. A 4x4 space is 50 wpsf. They call core coverage. Most growers and manufactures would refer to that as max flower space. Then do the math on a 5x5 as referred to as max coverage. That would be seen as max veg space. Thus your number drops to 32 wpsf which is at the min. wpsf. (wattage per square foot) All these numbers are at max draw of 800 watts per there spec. Most people learn over time it’s better to have more lights so you can run your dimmers on a lower setting thus reducing heat and making it easier to control your environmental conditions and maintain your PPFD/DLI or VPD in the summer months. Then come winter time and in flower you can raise the lights higher and crank up the dimmers to raise the heat level a bit to help maintain temps, as a example. The hardcore reality is you will meet what is commonly seen as the min. for your space concerning the basic math. To get into what many would think is the comfort zone would require four fixtures with that max power rating and square footage you have. It’s all a balancing act. I run 56.4 wpsf in one tent and 82.5 wpsf in another tent. Next board and driver upgrade on the 56.4 wpsf light system will get it up to 73.3 wpsf of cooler running HLG lighting. But I’m insane and like it like that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes