Too much heat in the grow room/shed

I just flipped a huge (my first grow) AK to 12/12. I had 1000W sodium light from indoor orchid growing. I am in Florida and in an outside shed. I can feel the heat from that light almost 2 feet away from the bulb. I have fans and great circulation. AC unit is not an option. This shed is outside and Florida is not weed friendly. Any options guys?

1 Like

Lots of people use LED lights because they put off less Heat. Also you might need to plan your grows in the winter time when it’s not as hot outside.

4 Likes

I used LED’s to get that far, but for thick buds it was recommended to use sodium. It’s been two days since the flip. Should I go back to the lights that got me here? 2 1000 w full spectrum? The are cheap Chinese lights but they got that plant really big.

1 Like

Whatever light you use need to try to keep the temperature under 85 degrees I know it’s hot in Florida in the summer time so pulling air in from outside shed is not going to help you that much. If not already it’s good to have your lights on at night time when it’s cooler.

4 Likes

They are at least a couple Growers in Florida that may see your post and respond on dealing with the heat in a shed in Florida.

1 Like

Thanks and it’s funny that some of the best old weed was Jamaican. That climate usually is about the same as the heat in my shed. I think I will run the lights at night. I will have to check the shed at night and make sure it doesn’t look like an area 51 lost ship. :wink:

1 Like

Yes I agree insulation might also help.

It’s a landrace strain. They are strains that have adapted to their conditions over time. You could look into a landrace strain that fits your conditions

3 Likes

@caleb316 the only thing about insulation in many cases is it brings humidity up also. If it was me I’d use a rigging foam insulation on the roof and south and west walls.

3 Likes

Some of the best old weeds grown in Jamaica are Sativa HEAVY. Their structure naturally is better suited for hot humid areas (being lanky and tall). But they also have Sativa-looking indica strains. Its mind boggling the diff strains that grow in places like it was made to do so.

@Floridabud @Myfriendis410 @Budbrother @fano_man are all either in FL or outdoor growers or just knowledgeable folks

4 Likes

You all are great. Thanks so much. The shed is insulated and carpeted too. It’s my get away from the wife place, when necessary. I have a fridge, and desk and a TV. I placed black plastic over the windows but have 10 inch ductwork sucking air in and blowing it out. Until the sodium light I could keep the shed about the same temp as outside… The humidity is what it is in Florida…50%-70% in the summer. It is hot and humid. Thanks again.

1 Like

It sounds like you don’t have an air-cooled fixture for your HID light. This is a key factor in keeping them cool. The cool air will be sucked in across your bulb and then the warm air will be pushed out through your exhaust fan. It reduces the canopy temperature significantly.

4 Likes

This is of course the orchid of record. You can see it’s under sodium. For reference it’s a 4X4 area.

You must have ac in out door shed in Florida not only will u not be able to controll humidity with a 3 in 1 stand alone unit u will get waaay to hot and over 80 is a no no in flower and that’s next to impossible to achieve without even a 8500 but ac in a 13 square foot space…I repeat you WILL GET BUD ROT where in Florida are you north or south …my first run I did , an outdoor shed they ended up in… huge mistake I spent 100s of dollars trying to ventilate and conceal made fake walls… I jus couldn’t keep the humidity down even with a dehum ac all in 1 unit… I’ll tag u in my journal lots of Florida humps and hurdle in there I’m in south Florida btw

4 Likes

Yea even a closed cool tube reflector isn’t gonna be enough even if u sucked and discharged outside the 1000s are rediculesly hot

If ac is out the question go back to LEDs and or bring them inside and fashion a light proof tent …outside is just non flower favorable in summer here even with ac… I only had 725 watts and couldn’t keep up mix of MH and HPS

1 Like

Yeah, cool tubes don’t work nearly as well as an air cooled reflector. Both in light dissipation and heat retention.
I run a 1000 watt HID in an air cooled reflector and you can barely feel any heat from it 4 inches away from the glass.

1 Like

What u must have an ac hooked up to your lights cuz I find that impossible to feel no heat on 1000hps no matter what… maybe the tempered glass heat is low but the temp on the metal on the back side is what heats up the room … I bet you ain’t putting your hand on your reflector for more then 1.5 seconds without 2nd degree burns

1 Like

And a cool tube is a reflector with glass and circular tubing and intake and exhaust fans can be hooked up to I’m sure you could fashion the ac to the as well but he said ac is out of the question… I dont blame him the exhaust on my unit is so loud it’s a dead give away not to mention the whole shed had some kinda glow to it low which had me running lights mostly at day and come on at like 2 am in veg… 8 am flower …anyways my ac never shut off I found it to run a cooler constant to keep it in dehumidifier mode and I got a 13 square foot space done to 61 degrees in September last year in ft Lauderdale so I had what I needed but the humidity just took my crop out plus the heat in the drying process killed. The rest of the Terps and potency

Nope, no direct cooling involved in my setup. The top side of my reflector actually feels cool to the touch - ambient temperature. An air cooled reflector is much different from a batwing reflector - those can get hot. The majority of heat is at the ballast, which is outside the tent. It’s a simple matter of having a large plenum and an adequate volume of air passing over the bulb and exiting the tent.
I use a 6 inch XtraSun 64 Air Cooled Reflector, a Quantum digital ballast and a 6 inch 400 CFM exhaust fan.

1 Like