Too late to prune?

Hi all. Im on my second grow and was hoping to have a better harvest than my first. I have two plants at 14 days into flower and theyre looking a little bushy. Just wondering when is it too late to prune my plants? Can i still do it or has that ship already sailed?

6 Likes

Clip off only as needed to improve air flow or light penetration.

4 Likes

Some folks do 2 defols during flower. The first at 21 days and the 2nd at 42 days. Alot of people also lollipop which is removing the lower 1/4 to 1/3 of the plant as these won’t get much light and will rob from the upper growth. I have a pic that is a bit overkill but I was trying something specific and although the mains were large the overall yield was not what I expected.

I typically do a nice defol at the 21 day mark and then only remove what is needed for air/light penetration going forward. Multiple grows and experimenting will result in what works best for you.
and here is the final result

6 Likes

I do a big pruning or lollipoping at about day 21

6 Likes

I started lollipoping mine, and really like that idea. It gets rid of a lot of that larf at the bottom that doesn’t amount to anything, and is a mess to mess with. I wouldn’t remove much from the top unless it’s yellow, or block lot of light.

3 Likes

@Bonjoyle thanks for the info. I thought about lollipopping but am a little nervous doing it for my first time. Nice looking plant by the way!

3 Likes

@dirtydave i think ill attempt my first lollipopping in a week or so then

3 Likes

There is nothing magical about it. If a fan leaf is below a certain level, remove it. The same with new growth or branches that will never be able to complete with the taller colas. Get rid of it now so it doesn’t consume what the main colas can use.

This plant is 7 days into 12/12 light schedule. Below the net is fairly bare. Once at the net I leave the leaves until new growth replaces them

4 Likes

Don’t be nervous basically you strip the bottom 2/3’s to make the upper much stronger you’ll be surprised how quick it bounces back. The yield will be a little less but the quality will go up.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the responses! I feel better and a little more confident in pruning/lollipopping…im gonna give it a shot in another 6-7 days. Thanks again!

2 Likes

I personally am a big believer that fans feed flowers. Since they stop producing them when flowering for all intents and purposes, I leave as many as I can get away with. Just me. My yields are high and i like the bud growth with the good energy produced by the solar panels.

4 Likes

Remove the growth below the red line (lollipop) and tie the side branches off back to the sides of the pot (LST) :love_you_gesture:

1 Like