Tobacco for pests?

I have a few lbs. of tobacco from blunts Can I use this to make a pesticide tea for bugs ? This is flavored tobacco. Outdoor grow.

I wouldn’t introduce any tobacco in or around your cannabis plants - at least until Tobacco Mosaic Virus is better understood.

2 Likes

After you’ve touched tobacco products, don’t even touch your plants until you wash your hands.

1 Like

@garrigan65 has a tobacco recipe he uses for pest that includes hot peppers and tobacco so I would have to say yes hopefully he sees the tag and drops the recipe here
Or you can search it out it’s been posted more then once

2 Likes

You really do have to be careful using tobacco. You have no idea if the tobacco you have is free from plant viruses. Yes, it is a known and valid remedy, but there is a chance of cross-contamination if you’re unlucky enough to use infected tobacco in your treatment.

1 Like

So what do you guys suggest ? Florida has every bug known to man…not to keen on idea of putting chemicals on my babies.:grimacing:

Are you in veg or bloom?

I am just germinating. My first batch had problems due to freak cold front. But had issues last year, so trying to get info in advance. For when the time comes. Heard that tobacco tea worked, but now hearing otherwise. Last year had problems with a " mystery " bug that just cut stems at base, and left plants uneaten . Almost looked like someone cut them with cutters. Just a little bit of “sawdust” as a clue. Nobody on here seemed to know either , someone suggested a cutworm but never found out.

People use tobacco, just be aware of the possibility of cross-contamination when using tobacco. Probably best not to use flavored tobacco or anything with too many extra additives that could mess with the plant.

Personally, it’s not something I would use, but it’s not my grow, it’s yours. Do whatever works for you.

1 Like

Abit of dish soap and water as a spray is good for pests. Water and vineger to I was reading the other day too.

SM-90 applied three times once the plant is established in veg (per the instructions on the bottle) will dramatically reduce pests on your plants.

SM-90, Is that organic , where to find? Any experience with vinegar , and, or dish soap ?

From the manufacturer Web site:

Prepared from natural plant oils, Nutrilife SM-90 may be used as a wetting agent in both field and hydroponic applications. Encourages new root growth and can be applied as a foliar spray or directly in reservoirs with nutrient solutions. 100% bio-degradable and non-toxic to humans, animals and plants.

Benefits:
• Improves spray coverage in soil and on plants
• Lengthens contact and control of sprays
• Increases the speed of moisture penetration in soils and growing media
• Reduces surface tension of spray nozzles and irrigation systems

Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) – PDF

DIRECTIONS FOR USE:

Hydroponics Systems: Apply 2-3 ml to each gallon of nutrient solution on a weekly basis or whenever solutions are replaced.

Foliar Sprays: Dilute 1 part with 5 parts water to prepare a foliar spray. May be repeated every 3 days for up to 3 spray applications.

Grower’s Tip:
When this product is added in small quantities directly to plant nutrient solutions, new root growth emerges. Treated plants develop greater root area, root runs and exhibit generally healthier root development.

An outdoor grower suggested I use it as a preventative measure for pests, and it worked really well. I live in central MA and my bug issues haven’t been severe - mostly caterpillars and mites. Full disclosure I did have a LOT of lady bugs on my plants last summer… my plants are near a place in my backyard that is “wild” and full of things like wild carrots, so I get a lot of bees, butterflies, and lady bugs.

1 Like

No do not use flavored or burned tobacco 2 oz of straight tobacco in a gallon of water