To water or to not water, that is my question

I didnt want to create a new topic but I need a quick answer. Should I water the seeds during the first week using a pot for pot 5 gallon grow kit?

5 Likes

Do you have pictures?

I water my pots before dropping seeds and dont really touch them for the first week or 2. If the soil is dry, maybe a spritz or two wont hurt. But you dont want to get too handsy from the start. Keep It Simple

20 Likes

I water my seedling at the base with a few mls of water. Every other day or so.

I was thinking this the other day. Works real well with my less is more way of doing things and should promote a long tap root which is what I’m shooting for…

9 Likes

16439617724921052893001339175038|281x500
The top is looking very dry. I used about a gallon and a half of water when I started on the second of feb.

1 Like

Looks pretty moist…
I would probably wait and see the lil girl before any more watering…
:v:t4: :sunglasses:

9 Likes

Yup Id wait her out a bit.

3 Likes

Your soil looks pretty wet… dome her with a water bottle so you can see how moist she is… the dome will build up visable dew with a water line. When that starts drying up water.
See pics below.

8 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

How long do I keep the dome over it?

1 Like

Maybe a week or so… depends on how well she’s doing.i generally go about 3 weeks but I have a massive amount of light so it’s not suffering with the dome deflecting light.
When you are dried up and need to water leave the dome on and water outside of your original water line.
Old dude gave me that tip 30yrs ago. Said it’s the first thing any beginner should learn. He wasn’t wrong :grin:

8 Likes

This morning we have some progress!! Does this look right so far?

11 Likes

She’s alive!!!

7 Likes

Does it matter the shape of what I use to dome it? The water jug I used has a small mouth on it. Also, how do I know if I need to water? Do I water from the top or can I water from the bottom tray?

The shape doesn’t matter too much, it’s just used to make the environment smaller, which makes it easier to keep the humidity up. Just keep the dome on it, pole a couple little holes in it, and don’t stress watering. It’s such small amounts at this stage, and easy to over do

3 Likes

This is the jug I used… I just cut it in half with a knife. You can pretty much use anything. Acrylic cookie jar is one I’ve used before. Until you get used to watering this technique will help you know when and where to water.

Is this fine? Do I need more holes?

4 Likes

I’m out of likes I’m sorry, I asked my boyfriend to get me this one and he got something else :weary: I’ll get one on my next trip to the store but will the pic from my comment before this be fine until I can get that one?

1 Like

I’m sure that will be fine. The holes I don’t do so I will let the person who said that chime in.
Basically what I advised was a beginner technique to help new growers determine when and where to water. Most new growers over water.

3 Likes

Thank you so much. I have another container that is the exact same. I could put that one over it without the holes if that would he better? Also is this box fan fine for ventilation?

1 Like

Imo I would use one without holes. Not knocking what anyone else has said but I can only inform you what has worked for me over the years.
I wouldn’t worry to much about a fan until you have pulled the dome off. At that point you want an oscillating fan to sway your stem back and forth. I have seen box fans used but they can create stress with the constant blast of air.

1 Like