To trim or not to trim that is the question

Tell me on an Autoflower … should you trim huge fan leaves at the beginning of flowering yay or nay

1 Like

Unless it’s dead or dieing , you should not defoliate your plants… :wink:
Without the leaves they won’t grow… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Never prune auto flowers

4 Likes

It’s best just to let the auto flowers do there thing
Some LST training would be ok if you want more light into canopy just make sure you watch how tight the tie downs get and readjusted as need you don’t want to snap branches off @Chefchino

2 Likes

I have done 2 auto flower grows. First one I didn’t trim anything and was just fine. 2nd one I did trim off some of the lower “popcorn” bud sites that usually do not amount to anything, and they did just fine. Did not notice much difference either way.

3 Likes

I’m trying to get some more lights to the bud sites… no?

Thanks for the reply …I’ve heard some people say yay… I hear some people say nay …I just want to get a general consensus

1 Like

That’s my thinking I did that yesterday I have four plants in one container and I just kind of tied them and pulled them away from each other so I could get light into the middle but if it wasn’t going to hurt I was going to just get rid of those huge fan leaves but I heard somebody say they’re like solar panels and that they’re like Sugar Factory they process the sugars

Never? Thanks for the reply

If you have the space and want to try shaping, get some photo period seeds and let er rip! You can veg as long as you want and flower when convenient and the potency can be higher without the ruderalis genetics present. Not always.

1 Like

Exactly @Chefchino
That’s why we leave them
Give the LST a few days and see what you look like I think you’ll be happy
@Myfriendis410 has a good point get photo seeds next grow And then you can play with them a bit more :+1:
Hey @Chefchino just a FYI
@latewood is top dog hear so I would take any advice he gives you to heart

1 Like

No do not leve em on

1 Like

The fan leaves produce and convert sugars to the plant. Some was right on! :slight_smile:
I also see no issue if you want to lightly prune the bottom “LARF” but, keep in mind; When an auto gets stressed it stops growing. Happy growing.

1 Like

@latewood thanks for the info and taking the time man… I have four of them in one container now…I was just looking at them… and I think what I’m going to do is… I have another container just like it… set up another container and just get some light that way by the separation… these fan leaves are so huge though…is it normal to still get quite a bit of vertical growth even after flowering starts

@Countryboyjvd1971 Point well taken… about who to go to… you only have to tell me once

1 Like

It’s called “The Stretch” The stems will stiffen up and stop growing shortly! @Chefchino

And I am with the don’t mess with autos, let them do their thing! The less stress the better!

1 Like

I agree with @bob31 and @latewood The only other thing I do is SCROG my autoflowers

1 Like

I’m going to have to do some research on Scrog

1 Like

This should help @Chefchino

@latewood what’s up bro how far should my 300w LED be from My Little girls Dark Devil Auto???

I know what you guys said yesterday but do you see how confusing this can be

Growing Marijuana Forum by Robert Bergman’s I Love Growing Marijuana

Does 24 hour light regimen grow bigger marijuana plants than 18 hours of light?
Indoor The Grow
1 / 1

ilovegrowing
Sep '13
What is the ideal light cycle for vegetative growth of marijuana plants? 18/6 or 24/0? Which one helps the female marijuana plants enter flowering stage with less stress?

As long as the marijuana plants receive light, water, nutrients, adequate temperatures, and air they will photosynthesize. Photosynthesis, of course, is the process in which plants take energy from light (mostly from the blue and red spectrums) and combine that with CO2 and water to produce sugar and release oxygen into the air.

Plants use these sugars on a continuous basis in order to perform metabolic processes and build tissue. Nitrogen (N) is combined with sugar to produce amino acids (protein’s building blocks). This is what plant tissue is made from. When it’s dark, the plant still performs its metabolic processes, respiration, and growth.

It’s possible for the marijuana plant to photosynthesize nonstop to produce energy and growth. Uninterrupted light will not stress the plant. Heat from the lamps can end up hurting the plants, but the light itself will rarely (if ever) be harmful.

Marijuana plants that undergo an 18-6 regimen will only be producing sugars 3/4 of the time. This means they’re only going to grow at 3/4 of their potential. Continuous light will produce bigger plants at a faster rate, which will then lead to higher yields.

Robert