To nute, or not to nute?

Hey everyone, first time grower here! Have a feminized ww auto, day 22 above soil/23.5 days total, soil is pure FFOF. she’s about 14" tall in preflower, there seems to be some yellowing in the center of some leaves? I can’t tell . And if there is, does that mean she needs nutes? Or a nitro deficiency? So far I having started any nutes yet…

1 Like

She looks good to me! I don’t see any signs of deficiency.
Are you keeping up with your run off PPMs? Where are they at? That’ll tell you a lot about the plants needs.
With the charge in OF and the fact you’re growing an auto you might only need a few lite feedings of N before flowering starts and you’d benefit more from nutes geared towards that.
But she looks good and healthy to me!

4 Likes

She looks heat stressed (slightly sharp appearance of the serrations on her fans) but I’m with Tyler, not seeing obvious nutrient issues other than she may be too close to N toxicity.

Edit: I think I see what you’re seeing now on the lowest couple leaves. I wouldn’t stretch to deficiency yet still, may be old leaves that don’t get enough light simply being converted into useful energy for the plant. But do keep an eye.

4 Likes

N toxicity is a hallmark of FF soils!! LOL!

4 Likes

The last time I checked my PPMs of runoff was 2 days ago and they were around 1100 still, I know OF is pretty hot, and I bought the FF 3 pack, what should I start with??

1 Like

I recently installed a new HLG 300L Rspec, and she’s kicking the temp up in my tent by almost 7° to around 85-87° because of the driver…ive added a new fan and opened up the vent all the way to try try keep my temp below where she used to be at a cool 79.5° because of my old light…I tried to remove the driver, but the cables were way to short…so that could be it?? Also, @Tylersays N toxicity is?? And how do I stay on top of it??

You could start at half or even a quarter dose of the schedule. You’ll get great results with FF as long as you keep your eye on the run off and adjust accordingly. The important thing is feeding to ample run off and stick to the schedule with the flush.
But with autos I’d try to avoid a flush and just eagle eye the PPMs and ensure the plant is eating accordingly.
Autos don’t like a bunch of messing around.

N toxicity is nitrogen overload. But with your PPMs at 1100 it looks like shes already eaten quite a bit of it! LOL!
At 1100 I’d probably do at least 1 more plain water feeding and check to be sure she’s eating then conside half dose of nutes next go.

Heat stress could be an issue. That’s a pretty big jump. Are you running an exhaust system? I try to keep at least one fan slightly cocked upwards to help air flow upwards towards the filter/fan for exhausting.At 85 growth will slow down.

2 Likes

Okay, cool! I’m a little nervous to start nutes, haven’t read up yet on how to administer them…do I mix it with the water when I go to water? Or in between waterings,?? And just right into the soil.? Also I have a vivo 4 inch in line with a duct, a 30 ft fan on floor pointed up, and one clip on blowing right on the LED driver… also my light is at 21"

1 Like

The nutes will be added to the water you’re going to water with.
And you should probably only add them every other watering.
The schedule calls for 2 feedings a week but the watering schedule I follow is when the bag gets lite. Sometimes its twice a week but sometimes it not. Just depends on what they’re drinking at the time.

You would add all the nutes and ensure they’re mixed well - Some of the FF is kinda gritty so keep agitating as you distribute so the particles go in the mix.
But before you water the plants you have to Ph the water to the proper range. 6.5 for soil is best. But 6.3 to 6.8 range is acceptable.
I also won’t go higher than half strength until flowering. Once flowering starts increase yo 3/4 or full strength. She needs a whole different diet then, most of which isn’t in the soil like the early stuff.
Or at least in as great a quantity as needed.
That’s when the Tiger Bloom comes in to play!

You could probably raise the light to about 24" and encourage more vertical growth and still keep a pretty tight node space.
You could also do a little LST by gently bending her over and holding the main top down with a wire or something and spread the side shoots out and kinda flatten the plant out - GENTLY - and increase the yield and horizontal footprint of the plant.
The plant will begin to distribute the growing energy more evenly through the plant as opposed to sending the bulk of it to the main growing stem and dribbling it out to the sides. Why grow 1 fat bud when you can grow 10 in the same space? LOL!
Autos are a little more fragile than photos and some will take it personally, but if done gently and respectfully, it’ll produce much better results and the girl won’t even know what hit her!
You can throw a photo in the ring with Tyson and she’ll bounce right back! LOL!

Good Luck Bro!! Just ask if you need help! Everyone here wants to see you succeed!

1 Like

Do you have a vent flap open at the bottom of the tent? That could help with temps if you don’t.
Sorry forgot to mention. LOL!
The only other thing I can think of is get the clip on lower so it’s blowing across the driver and kinda upwards.
What are the temps of your lung room. The cooler you can keep that the better.

2 Likes

That’s all I noticed as well. Point the fan upward towards the light.
Do you have a hygrometer right at the plant canopy level? That’s where you want to be checking temps. Good luck and keep’em growin! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks so much with the nutes!! And about my fan, thank you for the suggestion and yes there is a flap at the top, right by the vivo fan not open yet so I’ll try that too!!
Also, I did do a little bit lst with her, she was pretty cramped up at first , However she started cracking at her lower branches so I took them out for now, gonna go with a scrog net when she gets a little taller :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, update; I moved my clip on to the back and opened up another vent, raised by lighting to 24" and even opened vent at the bottom more (it looks closed because it’s reflecting a white wall lol… and I still can’t get it down passed 84°… and advice? Or will I have to get and splice my light cables to relocate the driver??

@Newt @Tylersays hey guys, just an update/nute question! So I just Watered her again because she was finally all the way dry/ almost wilting! I checked my runoff and it was at 750 heading into flower at day 27 in the soil …That means I start adding nutes right? Below 1000? Also, how does ppm correlate to nutes/ dosing??

@moderators Please remove this link if not allowed.

@CoolTtheWiz - sorry very busy work day. Read up here:

1 Like

That article explains it better than I can!
Basically, if you put 1500PPM in with your watering you want to see 1000 or ideally lower PPMs in your run off.
This shows that the plant is eating. Say you put in 1500 and get 500 back - she’s eating a LOT and you can safely increase the dose of mutes. By the same token, if you put in 1500 and get 1200 or more back, you want to reduce the dose or skip a feeding and just do plain water.
If you come out even or with a higher PPM than you put in - that’s a problem and the plant needs to be flushed asap.
At this point I’d say you’re safe to do a half strength feed of your FF nutes.
Do you have the schedule?

This is the current soil schedule for FF.

Mix the nutes then adjust the Ph of the solution then take and document your PPM measurement. Water the plant then catch the first bit of run off and check the PPM of that. It shold be lower than what you put in. Then just keep repeating the process as the grow progresses. If they start going the opposite direction do a flush followed by a 1/4 strength feed and start again.
Once you see pre-flowers forming you’ll want to swap over to bloom nutes to feed the buds what they need to develop. Still keeping an eye on PPM and Ph in the same way.
Growing good weed is like a science project but the attention to detail helps ensure a successful harvest!

You got this bro!!

2 Likes

Did they update the chart again. I am using this one:

1 Like

@newt @tylersays
So these were taken 24 hours after watering a gallon to runoff, I know my ppms are super low already, but are these the side effects, or natural cannabalism?? Also, how soon can I add nutes?? Do I have to wait 3+ days until the soil is dry since I just Watered her?? Or can I add right away and water to runoff again?

Uploading: Screenshot_20211207-085233_Video Player.jpg…

Uploading: 20211207_084537.jpg…

To avoid over watering, always allow the soil to dry between application of anything.

2 Likes

Will she be okay until then? She’s looking a little burned out ><

1 Like