To LST or grow naturally?

In my first grow, with 4 auto plants, I did LST with 2 of them. They didn’t yield much more than the plant’s I grew naturally(and tbh I got almost 3.5oz per plant which is plenty for me anyway). The plants I didn’t do LST on seemed to actually grow better/more dense buds. I have considered that maybe the LST slowed things, and that if I waited another week to two they would have matured the same, but anyway…

I’m about to grow another four autos, and I’m leaning towards just letting them grow naturally this time. I’m wondering how many of you prefer to do this vs how many of you always use LST with autos??

Thanks ahead of time!

5 Likes

Pretty good question. Various types of training with lst. I’m interested to see the responses.

4 Likes

When I messed with autos I felt like all my indoor plants that I trained did better harvest wise than the ones I let grow outside on the deck. But that’s kinda 2 different situations there. I think strain and phenos have a lot to do with it as well

5 Likes

I always FIM my plants, including autos. Here’s my gorilla glue that’s been flowering for 17 days. If nothing else, it keeps the canopy more even.

5 Likes

I forgot about the fim… that’s a great training method especially for autos. I never really did get the hang of it though

3 Likes

Anymore I let indoor plants grow natural (sometime topping to try and kill yet another clone :rofl: ) and flip when they get to a certain height. Outdoors I LST to keep them under the fence line.

7 Likes

I personally am a believer of letting autos do there thing ive always found i have better results bud density quality and yield now photos thats another story lol

5 Likes

Amazingly, I too, use this managment plan. Good to know I am not alone.
Keep on growing, cause it can only get better.
Best to you, all.

5 Likes

Nice to know I am not alone doing this. I try to keep my grows as simple as possible. I think that is a code phrase for I am lazy?

3 Likes

Fine line between smart and lazy :grinning:. LST’d 1st auto before I knew it was. Buds were fluffy to say the least, Blueberry starting to flower was tied down for about an hour then released to do her thing.

1 Like

I’ve let my first auto go naturally this time round (no topping, no tieing, no staking, absolutely nothing but the odd defoliation, and by far I think I’d my strongest healthiest plant, she could have been bigger if I used the light properly to it’s recommendations instead of 100% all the way and no raising or dropping it, but still, I’m really happy with her even if I’ll only get an oz or two

10 Likes

I do like the idea of having an even canopy in theory, but the quality of bud just seemed a good bit better without LST. In my last grow I seemingly got away with having the light VERY close to the main cola on each of the two plants I didn’t LST. Using my vivo vs2000 I generally used their recommended as far as light distance during the flowering, but I often measured the distance based on how far the “second layer” of colas was from the light. This meant the light was super close to the main colas, however no light damage to be seen and great buds to be smoked. I may attempt the same this go round

3 Likes

yes, lst low STRESS training will cause the plant to stall for about a week or 2. any stress applied will stunt them. typically autos are never trained, keep in mind i said typically. that is because you have a ticking clock and any wasted time is lost yield. if you want to train then i suggest photos. i train about 1/2 off my crop in various ways from manifold, menorah, and even tom cages. those plants always have their own individual flower schedule as each is stunted in varying degrees.

1 Like

its tricky to do. according to legend the term comes from "F@#$ I Missed ", when someone tried to top by pinching and didnt go far enough. I have been doing it for years and about 50% actually take the right way.

2 Likes

completely agree, autos are a ticking time bomb. no stunting allowed.

3 Likes

they need more than an hour to conform and grow the structure needed to stay how you want them. this girl spent a week tied down flat. when released she went 1/2 way back in a day so she got another week in bondage. sher learned then its a photo so the stunt period does not bother me. she will veg just like all my other lst’s to get enough structure. this is why autos are not good candidates for any training.

1 Like

beutiful coloring! what odd foliage are you referring to? I see nothing wrong with it.

2 Likes

Snakebender, I had decided when I started this seed I was going to let her grow untouched except for needed trim/defoil. I have topped and/or fimmed 4 plants so far(only ones I have grown so far) Mannifolded 2 topped plants. Sampling some of them made me do it :crazy_face:. So once I remembered I undone the restraints. I’ll see what happens then decide what to try on the next one.
Thanks for the info.

Fimmed the 1st plant I grew before I knew it was an auto(bag seed) had other issues with her too.
But managed 2oz off her. He!! of a pile of buds, but poof and it gone, very fluffy. 16" tall and 18" around :rofl:

@Snakebender .What are the sweet potatoes doing there? Just curious.

I grow lots of different stuff. those are yakamoto sweet tatars, very rare! I also keep tarragon, basil, lavedar, garlic, and sage and many other companion plants. it allows me to keep pests under control without insecticides.

4 Likes