To hatvest or not?

Living in Central Oregon can cause its own growing problems. Such as cold temps. I have attached a photo of the temps iver the next few days.

Three Gorrila Glues and one Elusiv Soda (blueberry x og kush) should J harvest do ti the temps? All plants our 8 weeks into flower in Sunday. With the GG i was shooting for 9 weeks and with the Wluaive Soda I was planning on about 10 weeks.

Plants are in 50 gal. smart pots. I installed privecy shade on the fencing to block the publics view. Ot also works great for a minor wind block for our harsh area. Green house plastic is on the top to protect from random rain storms (such as today). I have also put two small oil heaters at the base of the plans for alite extra heat.
Should I cut or wait out this little cold spell?

5 Likes

I would check trichomes. That would be the best indicator.

The trichomes could use a few more weeks. I was really concernd about the cold temps over the next week+.

Cold temps aren’t as big of a concern as humidity and bud rot. Especially after a rain.

1 Like

I agree with @Covertgrower. my plants did fine with 30°F, it’s the humidity that’ll bring on the mold and bud rot. Also frost is a concern, but seeing as you have your plants covered you should be ok. It’s a hard decision and only one you can make. Keep an eye on your trichomes and ask yourself, is it really worth waiting another 1-2 weeks or do I take them now and have a successful harvest.

Good luck, happy growing :v:

1 Like

Over the night/morning we have had a good amount of rain and wind. The edges of the garden got some moisture on the plants. I shook off each branch/bud hoping it will help. If the rain keep up over tonight and in to tomorrow I think it would be beat to cut. Especially with the temps getting so cold at night.
Could moisture get traped within the buds ->freez → expand at night. Even without the exterior showing sign? Not molding but simply messing up the structure of the buds?

If you can cover them with your greenhouse I see no reason they won’t make it. If you have good air flow you should be good. I’ve also heard of propane heaters causing the rot (excess heat with cold temps will create humidity) along with when being tested to be found in the plants as it’s a carbon and toxic. Imho cover with the greenhouse tarp at before sunset to trap some heat then open at day break so they can breathe but that’s just me.

2 Likes

Plan to wait tell daylight to see how the garden held up to the rain and cold temps. The area is not 100% pretected from the elements and can get some nasty rain along with heavy winds. Im getting tired of shaking buds everyother day. Hoping the moisture dose mot creel inside the buds.
My fingers are crossed that the two small oil heaters are doing somewhat of a good job. Not so much with the buds but keeping the roots a bit warmer at night.

3 Likes

I’m with Kev on covering at night if you can toss a big tarp or plastic sheeting over that whole cage at night it would be primo. The heaters will keep the air dryish and your forecast seems to be calling for not a ton of humidity at night. It’s the cold plus the humidity that really brings the rot.

I have a climate that sucks for rot too and I always try and select strains that have good resistance.

1 Like

That’s really a primo set up. Invest in a greenhouse top for next year. They look healthy and happy. I would remove those oil heaters if your trying to grow medical grade,imho. The plants will absorb that carbon let off from the oil and it’s toxic.

1 Like

A fan moving air may help also if closed up

1 Like

Oil heaters are out. :wink:

1 Like