To harvest or not to harvest

I’m guessing these two have at least two more weeks to go, however we have a big cold front moving through with lots of rain.
The extra weight of the water has caused half the branches to snap, but there’s still a lot of very large colas left, hanging on.
Should I go ahead and harvest early, or will they survive this cold front through to maturity without rotting?

5 Likes

Check the color of the trichomes that is the best indicator.

3 Likes

Absolutely check your trichomes and see what you think if you have any cloudy and some clear I’d say pull as they’ll mature some as well after you chop them down. If you have a couple of fans you can use those after the rain to help with rotting problems. Or a leaf blower really lightly.

2 Likes

Great looking trees.
I cant really see from the pic, but they def look like they need weeks more.

I built a roof over my outside grow with 2”x3”s and clear plastic roof panels. It holds up to moderate wind and keeps the rain off in the fall. Outdoor plants can handle cold temps (even a quick dip to freezing), so I wouldnt be too concerned with cool temps, but the humidity and constant rain can promote bud rot and or wpm.

You can try gently shaking the colas after a rain to dislodge most of the water. You can also stake and tie up larger colas that might snap a branch.

7 Likes

That picture is a few weeks old

1 Like

That could change things.
Still, I might let her ride it out. If a branch breaks off, harvest it.

1 Like

Great advice…
But just an fyi…
You really don’t want to shake your plants after a heavy rain , you actually shake water into the tighter area’s by doing that…
Just let the plants do their normal thing…
The leaves will droop to run off any excess water by them selves…
They can smell the rain coming just like us…
You know that your plants are a living creature right… ? :+1::wink:
They have been on this earth way longer than me or you…
They really do know how to protect themselves from most things , unless it gets super bad… :wink:
:v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

First time grower
Purple pack (Kush, Haze, Granddaddy)
Outdoor
Southeast GA
Grow medium soil
Plants look healthy, but I’m trying to decide when to harvest. Could you please look at these and give me some guidance?

I know they’re small, but it is my first time growing, and I have made notes on what to change.

1 Like