To freeze or not to freeze bho

So I’ve been making my own concentrates for about a year now. Its always pretty good…no complaints anyways and here lately for the first time I see where people are freezing the material before making the run and some even freeze the butane. Does anyone have any info on the reasoning behind this?

tia

1 Like

@Covertgrower is a really good BHO guy.

2 Likes

Love the set up and yes @Covertgrower is very knowledgeable. @MidwestGuy. @Borntogrow.

Fresh frozen @Borntogrow. Ask @Covertgrower

Thanks for tag guys! @Growcoast @MidwestGuy

The reasoning behind freezing the material, and butane is keep from absorbing waxes, lipids and other undesirables from being picked up by the butane.
This will result in a higher quality extract at the other end. The color will vary based on the material being extracted. Trim in comparison to flower.

If you have a column that has space for the dry ice, this would also assist in keeping undesirables out. Here’s the the BHO extraction thread if you’d like follow along. Haven’t extracted in awhile, but we’ll be extracting some soon.

4 Likes

Thank ya thank ya for the hasty replies I appreciate that. So freezing the material, does that only pertain to fresh trim/flower? I have been drieng my trim and leafs at harvest and in between harvest I run while I wait on the next harvest.

1 Like

It pertains to dried too. The are multiple reason to freeze fresh trim. If the water is frozen it won’t be added to the extraction result. It’s locked up because it’s frozen.
Fresh material is a lot more challenging to do a run with. Yields are low, terpenes are high. Best dabs I’ve ever had though.

2 Likes

Man I hooked up some frozen material and butane and your spot on. Thats was the best dab I’ve made yet and taste oh so good. I think I’m gonna make you my hero for the day thanks for that info.:fist_right::fist_left: and beautiful color too.

1 Like

More than welcome to contribute in the extraction thread on your next run. More info the better.

1 Like

I would love to learn how to make that stuff

1 Like