To defoliate in flower or not to?

From the research I found seems to be more of a preference thing but I figured I ask you guys. Can u still defoliant the fan leaves and little leaves into flower? Can you defoliant the whole grow? Or should you stop at a certain time in there grow?
I’m on week 8 of FF feeding so I’m about 4weeks into my flower. I did do some LST And I was defolianting a lot, but the past 2 weeks I’ve really falling behind and got me a jungle goin on.lol just wondering if it is best to do less defoliation into flower so you don’t stress me out. Or if it shouldn’t really matter?. The things I’ve read seem to go both ways. Some say not to in flower time so you don’t freak me out and some say it is best to get big yields. Lmk your thoughts :blush:

From the research I found seems to be more of a preference thing but I figured I ask you guys. Can u still defoliant the fan leaves and little leaves into flower? Can you defoliant the whole grow? Or should you stop at a certain time in there grow?
I’m on week 8 of FF feeding so I’m about 4weeks into my flower. I did do some LST And I was defolianting a lot, but the past 2 weeks I’ve really falling behind and got me a jungle goin on.lol just wondering if it is best to do less defoliation into flower so you don’t stress me out. Or if it shouldn’t really matter?. The things I’ve read seem to go both ways. Some say not to in flower time so you don’t freak me out and some say it is best to get big yields. Lmk your thoughts :blush: I did just defoliate one of my skywalker ogs a lot and left my other for now just to see if it’ll be ok.

Here’s the other girls that should prolly get a trim?

7 Likes

@Amanda87 you done good trim up on first pic. But looks like you got a long night ahead of you, trim job on the rest of them ladies.
Happy Growing & Heavy Yield.

1 Like

Lol ur right about that one. I went ahead and did all my girls and now they looking now soo much like a crazy jungle in there anymore lol

3 Likes

Good job @Amanda87

1 Like

I remove some fan leaves about 3 weeks after transition to flower but selectively to not remove too many.

Think about this: HOW are flowers formed when they don’t contribute any photosynthesis/sugar production to the plant? Those leaves you removed are responsible for producing large heavy yields. If you remove them you take away the ability of the plant to convert light into flower. The only time this might be done is if you had some insane amount of light, like double your Daily Light Interval (DLI).

Full defoliation is done during the final push to harvest to help a: remove a reservoir of salts that can make cured flower harsh, b: make trimming easier after the chop. If ambient conditions are dry I leave fan leaves on to act as additional moisture during the drying stage to lengthen the process.

You need to think about every leaf you remove.

8 Likes

Seems to me you want to catch every photon coming off your light. If a leaf gets light I leave it.

3 Likes

My first preference. is always try to tuck some of the big fan leafs under to help light penetration and air circulation . Good luck finishing up. @Myfriendis410 has Got you covered .

4 Likes

Ok awesome :pray: thank you.im gonna go by this next time… I’m not gonna cut anymore off either now. I Did go a little crazy Cutting some off. but I need to get more light penetration into the middle and all those leaves were takin up a lot of extra space and pushing out the good flowering stalks.

2 Likes

There is a heavy trim at 21 days and 42 days in Flower school of thought going around. Stay lit :hotsprings:

1 Like

Have a look at this plant and tell me if it needs defoliation. Just for fun… i use this photo to demonstrate the effects of large root areas but it should illustrate the defoliation argument too.

3 Likes

But today I took another picture from below my plants to see how light is penetrating the canopy. I remove older leaves that are not contributing to growth and cause air circulation issues. If I dont see gaps its too crowded. Soon this plant will get some thinning.

I do this weekly and take canopy pictures too.

3 Likes

Thinning to allow light penetration is valid and something we all do. Like @Cannabian, I try to carefully remove leaves to achieve light and air into the canopy.

5 Likes

So I take it that you don’t defoliate at all then? Lol it’s beautiful :hugs::scream::heart_eyes:

Those are prolly the biggest trees I’ve ever seen lol hats off to you​:slight_smile::raised_hands::hugs:

1 Like

If you look at the branches you can see they have already had some clean up down under. I do it sparingly because the plant needs them, but at some point the plant needs to support them because they are in the shadows all the time.

1 Like