To Cree or not to Cree lighting option

Hi all love this site. We have grown in the past but not for the past 6 or more years and wow things have progressed from the standard 600 watt bulb. Looking to purchase LED lighting for a 8x8 room but only using the middle for growing so about 3 x3 foot. There is a huge amount available on Amazon so just looking for feedback on what would be a good and suitable light to purchase.

1 Like

If you get some lights your looking at you can ask @MAXHeadRoom @dbrn32 as these two are very knowledgeable in the area of lighting. They have guided several people build their own lights. Which if you have a specific budget you will get a much better quality light building one but it all depends on what your wanting to do.

3 Likes

For the most part the lights available on Amazon are using old tech to market led’s that are generations behind the state of the art. Example:

I was running 8 Amazon lights of various manufacture in a 24 sq foot space. 1,340 plug watts. Grew good cannabis but the output lights (at best) were around 75 lumens per watt. I did a diy build using nearly new led’s (strips) and I now have 720 plug watts at peak (although I generally run at 600 watts) with an output of 150 plus lumens per watt. In a better spectrum than the Amazon lights as well.

The net result is I wasted all of that money initially then spent MORE money to do it right. My electric bill went down $60 the first month!

3 Likes

Which Cree light are you talking about?

Hi this was one i was looking at.
LED Grow Light COB Led Grow Light Dimmable CREE 800W 12-Band Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower UV&IR MaxBloom CREE X8 Plus Led Grow Lamp

Ok great thanks, how do i do that? Sorry just new to this site so not sure how it works. We are in NZ and just got our seeds off this site and im super excited, dont even smoke just love to grow but the partner is my guinea pig lol

thanks my partner is pretty good at DIY so looks like this is a good option for us. Just need to figure it all out now.

1 Like

Nothing I already tagged them for you but you just put the @ symbol in front of their screen name like this @Sirsmokes and we will be notified

Oh great thanks for your help

How does this one look

For that kind of money counting the shipping and any other charges, you could buy a good 400 watt light from someone like HLG. @dbrn32 can steer you to the right place. Almost everything on Alibaba has ridiculous shipping charges @Sillouette

1 Like

I wouldn’t spend that kind of money on a light like that. I would probably try to diy something from cutter electronics, or look at one of their kits.

1 Like