Tips to make hard water better for plants

From a fellow grower: I am from Katy Texas. we have very hard water here. Calcium. Someone told me to buy a couple of 25 gallon trash cans fill them with water let stand for 4 days then it would be OK to use to water my plants do you have a better suggestion will this work?

1 Like

I use oxygenated water and four stage filter run 24 hrs if I make teas and just for watering I only run for a short period of time. No need to wait for 4 days,then test PH for any adjustments. Have family in Katy Tx :grimacing:

5 Likes

And use this to test PHā€¦ Done!

3 Likes

Best of luck. I finally broke down a and bought an RO system.

4 Likes

First of all I would like to commend you on taking the time to learn about the water you will be feeding your laddies. Clean healthy water = healthy happy plants.
Four days might be a few days to long. It sure wouldnā€™t hurt anything but I feel 24/48hrs would be sufficient. Adding extra oxygen will help increase the evaporation rate of any harmful bacteria ect. For instanceā€¦ some city water has chlorine in it. This will drastically damage the current micro-life in your soil, thus resulting in a not so healthy plant.
Donā€™t forget to look at the PH of the water before you feed. Make sure to do this ā€˜afterā€™ you add any solutions. We like to land in the rang or 6.3-6.5. This seems to be a nice sweet spot.

@anon47338222 Iā€™m still impressed with your tea setup. I ended up revamping ours for this next outdoor season. Increase the tea reservoir to 50 gal from 18gal with a valve on the bottom. Made the same setup for our fish/crab solution. Also increased our fresh water res from 50 gal to 275 gal. We will be running 10 plants this next year rather than the usual four. Hopefully it will help me cut down on some time in the garden.

2 Likes

Well you didnā€™t go cheap did u? lol Nice! Doing 12 outside next may myself. And yes one needs to invest in good filtering indeed. I have a big one stage going into a three stage filtering system. Different parts of the season has different ph values right now with out filtering was 8-8.4 NOT good. So has made a drastic impact on the plants. I understand some people on a budget here but I canā€™t stress the importance of good water. So I take it the 1/4ā€ or 1/2ā€ gaps in screen you have is for leaves and rain water? :thinking:

1 Like

@anon47338222 The screening on the it simply to keep any unwanted objects out. Probably not necessary but hey, why not. lol
We will be actually saving some money on next years grow due to the change in our soil choice. Cleaner healthier soil mix for a way better price :wink:

1 Like

I was going to do rain water but put new 5ā€ gutters on building and didnā€™t want to jack them up just put new onā€¦

1 Like

Taken a long timer Hippy to get things stra8 in my rooms and still not done really. Lotsa of money :moneybag: too. Lots! Maybe I was greedy? Lol more ā€œLsā€ almost wish it was a tent in some ways less dough!

1 Like

But the amount of $ one saves by growing there ownā€¦ mmmm mmm mm well worth the investment. Plus you know it was grown clean :wink:

3 Likes

New here. RO ?

2 Likes

@Bubbakush1 RO= reverse Osmosis
Welcome!

2 Likes

I have crappy hard Texas water too with ppms in the 400-500 range depending on time of year. My grows got so much better and healthier when I switched to RO water.

4 Likes

400 to 500 ā€¦ lucky dogā€¦
My ppmā€™s from my well are over 2500 and a ph of 9ā€¦ :angry::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::frowning::upside_down_face:
Takes lots of money to get it to 200 ppm and a ph of 7 ā€¦
:v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

LOL, thatā€™s some rough water.

1 Like

Hey! Iā€™m in Katy almost daily! What are the ppms of your water?

Az my friendā€¦$hit waterā€¦
Bottom of the barrelā€¦
Jerk water USAā€¦
Devilā€™s tanteā€¦
:v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

the only way to go- worth every penny

1 Like