Timing for outdoor veg, flower and harvest

I have a question about timing for an outdoor grow.

I planted the regular feminized seed today, April 22. The info for the strain says the flowering period is 12 weeks with the harvest in late October.

When does flowering actually start? After the solstice on June 21 as the daylight becomes shorter? Or in the beginning of August, 12 weeks before harvest?

BTW, an unrelated question, my plants are indoors under skylights in an upstairs loft exposed to natural light. How do I flush at the end? Can’t take them outside obviously or any other room and I don’t have drainage in that carpeted room of any type.

Depending on the strain, and potentially other factors, cannabis can start to flower with almost as little as 10 hours of complete darkness. So you won’t have to wait for the solstice to actually start with most plants, and most will certainly start flowering with 11 or more hours of darkness.

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t think I explained it clearly. What I meant to say was that after June 21, the longest day of the year, the hours of daylight will start to decrease until Dec 21, the shortest day. Once daylight hours start to decrease after June 21 does that trigger flowering, with harvest 12 weeks after that? Or to figure out the start of flowering do I count backward 12 weeks from late October? The info for the strain says the flowering period is 12 weeks with the harvest in late October.

Like I said, it is slightly strain dependent, but the flowering period for most plants will be shortly after the nights or dark period have become significantly longer than 10 hours. So it is not that the days are getting shorter that triggers flowering as much as it is when the plant gets significantly less that 14 hours of light and significantly more than 10 hours of uninterrupted darkness, this is what mostly triggers flowering.

And I meant to say you don’t have to wait until the equinox to start counting, lol. I got solstice confused a bit, so you don’t have to wait until the 12/12 hours of light and dark for flowering, it will start a little earlier than that, somewhere a bit after the nights have become at least 10 hours long.

1 Like