Timing for first outdoor attempt in The South (US)

A frost, as late as the first week of May, is a very real possibility. Additionally, the chop is probably happening before October. First freeze is USUALLY first or second week of October. So the start and end of my outdoor season are two variables. Nothing to be done about chop time. Trichs will talk.

When should I germinate? Light schedule for seedlings? When to move outside? Living soil is plan. Should I start seeds in/on a different medium?
I’m zoned 7A.

1 Like

Keep a few things in mind and you should be fine.

Flowering will take about 8 to 10 weeks from the time daily hours of sun is approximately 12 hours / day.

Indoor plants are generally pretty large and mature in the range of 8 to 12 weeks. Cannabis grows FAST, so keep this in mind when starting your seeds. You won’t want to be transplanting a bush, and you don’t want to be forced to take them outside before the weather supports it.

Seedlings don’t need a whole lot of light. CFL bulbs are great for seedlings, but the seedling stage only lasts a couple of weeks. You will want better lighting for your plant unless you are planning on transplanting your girls within a couple of weeks of germination. I run mine 18/6, while some people run a 24/0 light schedule for seedlings.

You will want to keep your indoor grow limited to above 14 hours a day of light to prevent flowering. Cannabis is generally mature enough to flower somewhere between 6 and 9 weeks.

Move them outside after the lowest temperatures of the day don’t dip below the high 50’s.

I would get a seed starter mix or soil that isn’t so hot like Fox Farm’s Happy Frog. Stay away from anything Miracle Grow. Miracle Grow can cause problems for cannabis since it is too nutrient rich and pH is very hard to control.

5 Likes

@MidwestGuy I swear I’m not following you around lol. But gotta agree with ya :point_up:again. What I’ll do (I’m n the south) ill start indoors mid March an go outdoors 4/20, IF frost does come later in the yr I’ll cover it up most of the time a bucket will fit over it by the last frost here n bama

2 Likes

Love the 4/20 transplant date. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gotta make it her day lmao. Out of :green_heart: but you know where I’m at

1 Like