Timeline of smell change

How long does it take during the curing process for the smell of buds to change from a fresh cut lawn to the undeniable skunky smell? Also, how long do your jars need to be left open when burping for a proper cure?

1 Like

1 to 2 weeks. Depends on your RH, and how dry your flowers are when you put them in jars. @slatt

3 Likes

the slower you can make the process the better the result. your herb will not retain the pungent fresh smell if your drying process is too fast. its all about hands on approach for each jar. when the buds are sticking together in the jar they are still wet. I rotate the jars daily and check the moisture content. when they stop sticking to the jar and lose the fresh wet smell then I start putting in the humidity packs and prepping for long term storage

3 Likes

Over the past 3 years I have been able to successfully grow all of these strains from ILGM: AK-47, Bubble Gum, Sour Diesel, and White Widow Auto.

They have all had only subtle differences in smell - None of which turned out with a strong “skunk” smell. All of them definitely had the undeniable smell of “weed or pot” during flowering, but none of them kept that undeniable pungent odor.

Any thoughts?

Following this topic, just completed my second grow and glad I’m not the only one.
I trim, cut at the stem and hang to dry for a week to ten days. When going into the jars the buds have a real “grassy” smell to them that I can only attribute to not trimming the sugar leaves back far enough. I open regularly for a month or so to cure. This grassy smell diminishes over time but plants never do have that strong weed smell they have during flowering. The sugar leaves have a lot of trichomes on them, and since I vape my cannabis the flavor of heating the leaf material doesnt get harsh at all.

Do some strains just never get that “dank” smell? Tagging a few people who have helped me in the past - Thank you in advance!

@tanlover442 @Familyman @PurpNGold74 @garrigan62 @hogmaster @Blackthumbbetty

1 Like

Any strain your I reference to in particularly??

I do know that Cindy 99 and blueberry are pretty mild in scent. Also NL has a smell but it’s not particularly skunky. I’ve found that humidity and after watering tends to bring out some of the dank ness. Also, terepene enhancers will increase oils and smell respectively. Hope this helps.

I have grown many a strain with different results.

Most indicas tend to get skunky. Some hybrids will also. names like SuperSkunk are self-describing. The site here has lots of information on the strains for sale. Smell factor is usually mentioned.

I would suggest you state whether you are WANTING dank/skunky strains or those that are less noticable. That would get you more definitive responses.

Over the past 3 years I have been able to successfully grow all of these strains from ILGM: AK-47, Bubble Gum, Sour Diesel, and White Widow Auto - None of them had really strong smells after dry/cure. I am simply wondering if this is common with these particular strains. And to follow that up, what strains are the skunkiest?

@slatt Bruce banner is a dank smell for sure the how long are you drying and how are you drying ? Whole plant branches?

I have tried hanging whole plants, hanging individual branches, placing individual branches on fabric racks, and even individual buds on fabric racks - Same results with all, besides the obvious dry time.