Time for a fresh start

So for the past year or so I have been recycling my soil and adding the kitchen sink. Mulch, peatmoss, garden soil, compost, sand, clay, yard dirt etc. I think it’s time to start over with some fresh (I hope) cannabis friendly potting mix. I ordered some Happy Frog and Ocean Forest that should arrive this weekend. I may experiment a little with it by adding some extra perlite and white sand to the mix.
I have 4 plants already in various stages of growth so I will have to wait until at least 2 of them are done before starting with the new soil.
I have a grow area approx. 32x48x60 with two T-1000 LEDs. For nutes, I am considering either a package deal with all the Humbolt’s Secret line or Jack’s 321 and some flower booster.
Currently for seeds I have a few White Widow, some Bubba Kush and a bunch of the Purple(?) from a self-pollinated bud, all autos.
I am hoping the fresh soil will make the grow a little less problematic.
Once I get going with this “new” grow, I will post updates and questions here.

7 Likes

I would definitely add the perlite, not sure about sand…
Looking forward to watching the grow :green_heart:

4 Likes

Agree with @Beck. I do 3 scoops OF 1 scoop perlite for a ratio. I also layer in SF bottom 1/3, OF top 2/3.

Also, I just harvested a grow that I used Great White Shark for myco’s. Holy crap! The roots in my pot were everywhere! First time the cloth pot came off without tearing up the rootball cuz it was knitted into the soil. I was super impressed so…Im sharing. Everybody should be using some kinda myco…just wow.
Set to watch. Good luck

2 Likes

@HMGRWN looking forward to seeing what you come up with!! :+1:t2:

I mix fox farm fruit and flower 4-9-3 in with my happy frog soil, along with some worm castings. Then top dress with the same thing once a month. Works great for me, and easy. I also use a little bio thrive bloom during flower.

2 Likes

And now it begins…

I have started by soaking 2 White Widow auto seeds in plain tap water.


This will go in a dark place for a couple of days until the seeds sink.

I have prepared 2 planters, one is 5 gal the other is 3 gal.

They are filled with FFOF with extra perlite, potash and bone meal on the bottom and FFHF on top and in the center. They have been soaked and I will keep them wet until planting time.
Next post should be in a couple of days when seeds go into wet paper towel.

3 Likes

Nice! I’m outta likes but :+1::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart:

1 Like

The WW seeds are eager I guess Friday 07/29/2022 8pm cdt. They have both sunk on their own and I have placed in paper towel.

Doesn’t have to be a full sheet. This is half a single select-a-size folded twice and the top 2 ply was separated (not necessary) fold the corner flap back and place the seeds. It is nice and wet.

Fold the flap over the seeds.

Place in ziplok bag with a little puff of air.

I put the ziplok in this extra planter and hang it above my light. Not too close or it will cook the seed.

2 Likes

X2 on the perlite. I used a 70/30 mix of FF Ocean and worm castings with Bargman ILGM ferts, thats it.
In the 11th week, flushed the soil yesterday and added the molasses today, now the hard part…waiting for the harvest.

Good Luck.

Lost In the Sixties

2 Likes

I hear ya! The waiting is the hardest part :notes:

2 Likes

R.I.P. Tom Petty.

3 Likes

Every day you get 1 more yard. You take it on faith, you take it to the heart. The waiting is the hardest part. R.I.P Tom Petty. I will never forgive myself for not going to one of Tom Petty’s shows.

4 Likes

I’m blessed; I saw him twice
He was really great artist
RIP :broken_heart:

2 Likes

I’ve been using the humbolt line and have no complaints so far, happy growing!

1 Like

Minor update, both seeds have cracked. Gonna wait for decent tails before putting in the dirt.

I saw a couple of gnats crawling on the new soil so I dusted it with sevin dust and wet the surface with insecticidal soap spray.

1 Like

Welcome WWA BABIES!

They are hard to see in this first pic


Here they are!


I spritzed them with water and gently helped remove the helmet. The bottom one is still stuck on the very edge of the cotyledon but is of no concern now. They were uncovered for pics only and are under the domes 24/7 for a while. No water added other than the mist to help remove hulls.

1 Like

Today I have raised them up to be closer to the lights and control the stretch.


Sorry for the glare but you can see what I have done regardless. That is a 1 gallon Ice Cream bucket.

2 Likes

I may have cooked one of the delicate sprouts. It keeled over and is shriveling fast. Did some rearranging and moved the light above them, must have got it too close. I am soaking a Bubba Kush to replace it now.

1 Like

Out of like but @HMGRWN everything looks great will be following along

1 Like

I’m sure I am being impatient but it seems like this grow is off to a sluggish start. One of the WWA’s is in seedling stage and should start growing in earnest soon. The BBKa has officially sprouted and I helped to remove the helmet this AM. I saw some gnats crawling on the surface of this new soil so I wet the top with insecticidal soap. I think I am going to order some D.E. as I can’t find it in any stores around me.

1 Like