Thoughts please on de leafing

Medical Marijuana facility. They grow for quality.

2 Likes

yup… those babies are full of leaves!!! so many people charlie brown the tree.

1 Like

I’ve seen growers do just that on this forum. Usually they don’t want to hear differently…

2 Likes

As always its a topic that sparks passionate debate.
I do think sometimes we picture different things in our mind when the word “Defoliate” is used and then even though we may mean the same thing as another grower the words get in the way. When removing a few leaves or bottom stems vs plucking every fan leaf off and cutting off all but 4 stems are both called “Defoliating” it gets sideways fast. But its all good fun growing and doing it myself is all the fun. Cannabis is remarkably resilient and will take heaps of abuse. I just wanna have fun and I suspect you all do too.

5 Likes

Wow that was a well put together post. You should do that more. I feel smarter for having read it. Now I’m questioning all of my previous plucking….:person_shrugging:

1 Like

Exactly… That’s what I realized after a year of growing… This is my first session where I left more leaf!!!

I also prefer a healthy canopy all the way to harvest. It just makes good sense to keep as healthy as possible.

1 Like

I agree. If it isnt blocking air or light, leave it.

1 Like

The current canopy that started the post! Here she is…look at that rack!

4 Likes

Pretty ladies up in there!!!

I think the asterisk on defoliating is on outdoor. I have found some leafy messy strains that I cannot get to harvest if I do not defoliate it heavy. The dew builds up in the leaves and never burns off. So I guess I would say climate dependent too. Maybe not a problem in the high plains desert, but definitely a problem in the maritime pacific north west.

Maybe the defoliating does reduce yield, but a must to prevent mold. I usually pluck the inner leaves and leave the outer of the “pair”. This island sweet skunk would always mold if I did not defoliate her. She was a messy leafy one. Otherwise she went to October just fine.

5 Likes

There’s no doubt the process is grow specific. We have to know our climates and choose how to treat our plants accordingly. Most of the time it’s trial and error. That’s how we learn. We can not control our climate outside with our grow. But we can control what happens in a grow tent. Putting small fans or running a dehumidifier are some examples.

1 Like

You might end up having to trim some. There are a lot of plants in a small space and i’m afraid there may not be enough airflow. I would plant fewer plants next time or make a bigger grow area for better spacing.

1 Like

Al lot of people with a tent, don’t understand you can have a grow room. Rip the tent off and run machines in the room !

2 Likes

I have this thought alot, it does kind of keep me restricted Lol.

2 Likes

To be honest with you… The way growing is marketing, I almost didn’t realize you didn’t need a tent!!! Most circumstances your living space is to warm and the added warmth from light will never allow you to close tent. Or the humidity is messed up. I peeled the tent off. Cut it up in 4s and taped the crap to the wall. 9 plants fit amazing without the walls of the tent. Run your machines for the whole room! Waaalaaaaa

4 Likes

there’s a thought. best of luck!!

By the way… if you grow out of your tent … do this

4 Likes

Good discussion thanks @Kozmoz and @GFDuke I feel like I’ve attended an important lecture.

Kozmoz, I really appreciate your creativity with the grow space. Have you journaled it? I do the same as I have really limited space myself. I have plants in the tent and also just in my house including the patio (using the sun when possible), with lights hung from the ceiling but I think a super strong light is important. How powerful are your lights? And what do you use to suspend them? Beautiful looking plants. :star_struck:

1 Like

“Nebula haze defoliation” is a good read

2 Likes