Thoughts on this light

I’m planning to grow 1 plant indoors this Fall/winter in Oregon, local shop recommend this light at $270. Amazon has good reviews except some said the mirror reflector is not good and casts a shadow/dark spot and will need replaced by the company which they do for free. I have not opened the box to see what it has, just checking here for advice and thoughts. Thanks
I would tag someone but not sure who was a indoor grower from my outdoor grow last year

GC 315 SE CMH

4 Likes

Here is the Light Guru, @dbrn32. :+1:

2 Likes

Also any thoughts on the light they sell here on ILGM for $170

You can get one like that for about $250 from growershouse, or for $300 ($30 more than your price) you could get one with an air-cooled fixture.
Plus, they have a 15% off sale going on right now. That makes the $300 light only $255…

1 Like

I think @Hellraiser knows CMH. CMH is good for the full lifecycle, I’m just not sure how much coverage a 315w provides.

1 Like

Also no plans to use a tent

No clue about their light. What size grow space? Also what you can spend?These two nuggets of information will help.

I run 2 HLG 260xl rspec in a 4x4. Costly up front but it pays for itself off one crop. Unless you are running Autos. :+1:

1 Like

Space- a corner in my basement
Price range- less than $300
I was told this light should only use about $20 a month in electricity which is what I’m looking for

Lights do matter. Unless you don’t care about getting good crops. HLG and or DIY would be the route I’d take. I run all 12/12 so my 2 HLG lights and the window AC adds about $60 a month. If I was running a 18/6 then it would be a lot high those months.

1 Like

The 315 CMH is great for a 3x3 area, a little weak for 4x4 around the edges. $20 a month sounds about right. Great spectrum for seed to harvest. All depends on how much yield you want per harvest. I used to get close to 400 grams from a 315 CMH. I get close to 600 grams from a 600 watt HPS (which costs about the same as the 315 CMH). But that will double the electric bill. All depends on what you want to spend initially and monthly and how much yield you are looking for each harvest. CMH/HPS/MH are all much better than getting cheap amazon blurple led lights.

I’ve literally grown tons of buds with CMH/HPS/MH. The tech has been around a long time but still works fine and is inexpensive and reliable. A cheap and easy way to get into growing, then save up for a HLG 550 v2 rspec, that’s what I’m lusting for right now and it will be mine.

5 Likes

The cmh lights are nice. Like others said good for up to 3x3, and you’ll probably want space wrapped in reflective material/flat white.

Last I knew the Phillips green power bulbs were best in the business.

1 Like

Thank you all for the info it is exactly what I was needing to get me motivated to do it. I’ll post what I get and when I start my grow, you all rock and love the support here…

1 Like

I havent seen that. Can you post a link?

1 Like

@Hoppiefrog runs that light.

2 Likes

You probably don’t need an air-cooled fixture, then. Which saves you money.

2 Likes

I love my 315 cmh it’s a sweet light for sure, I’m thinking a 630 will reach further in my canopy tho.im used to 1000 w hps lights.had to change up how I veg a bit to lower profile a bit

3 Likes

@Sj2019 - If you aren’t going to grow until this coming fall/winter, why not hold off a while? Prices should drop and technology will change. Just a thought.

1 Like

Only reason I’m looking now is the world wide supply and demand issues out of China which is where these are made also I have the $$$ now to spend on a light. I will need a few other low $ items for the grow so I’m purchasing the most expensive item now and will purchase the rest over the next few months. I also like to buy local to support the business here.

1 Like