Thoughts from the evening garden

You don’t need a thickener for “pasta” sauce. I’d prefer eating the buckwheat flour in pasta, instead of wasting it as a thickener where it’s not necessary.

When I was cooking for an Italian restaurant, I used to be in charge of making each day’s batch of marinara.

People do make all sorts of edibles, not just candies and such. I keep cannabis infused olive oil on hand for making sauces, dressings, and such. I do also keep my freezer stocked with brownies & chocolates, for on the go, spur of the moment fun.

Weed is great, b/c the only wrong way to consume it is by not enjoying it. :grinning:

3 Likes

Depends on the type of sauce, doesn’t it.

A meat or bolognese sauce? No. But I like to have a certain thickness and texture to cheese and “white” sauces so I use buckwheat instead of corn starch/flour.

And anything that would normally be made with wheat flour gets hit with buckwheat here, especially home made pizza base. In fact, I think the only wheat flour here is in a “multigrain” bread mix, we don’t do any white wheat flour any more.

And pasta machine is to be bought soon, mainly as the availability of multi/whole grain or “spelt” pasta is so scarce here, a small selection in a few stores or VERY expensive in “bio” stores (same applies to wraps, multi/whole grain is not so easy to get a hold of so I make my own). In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if I came back from Amsterdam next Monday with one, for I’m all in favour of “make it yourself because then you know what’s in it”.

1 Like

Meat & bolognese is basically the same.

1 Like

Open to interpretation there, for a Bolgnese ragu used ground or finely chopped meat whereas a Neapolitan one uses lumps from a casserole.

Same concept using a tomato, etc, based sauce, different use of the meat.

1 Like

@highcountrygal @Screwauger I saw your pipe and wanted to show you one that is almost neolithic ! Made this in the early 1970’s and have had it with me most of my life except, of course, when i was working and living in military barracks. Hard to hide from those military dogs.

IMG_0794%20(2)IMG_0795%20(2)

Ugly little thing with many memories wrapped up in ! Was carried in my hunting jacket to celebrate a good hunt or console a bad one. Left it in my GF’s house in HS and her dad just handed me a cloth bag the next night and said that I should be a little more careful about laying “that” around. He also said “BTW, I used it last night and it smokes nice”. I still have the cloth bag, it was a really good quality pipe bag from a Mershaum pipe. Now used little but cool memories remain. Yea, guess I am Old School like my sons keep telling me.

That works for me !

Ya’ll have a great evening ! :sunglasses: :us: :man_farmer:

10 Likes

They just don’t make um like they used to, now a days you look at it cross eyed and it breaks! I love it and thanks for sharing. I also have a real peace pipe and an elk horn pipe. @TxGrowman

4 Likes

Now that is clever @TxGrowman

It was only a year ago I was showing off my homemade bongs! Mason jar and some pipe parts! I’ve since graduated to this glass piece and I love it. It’s all that dough I am saving from not having to meet Vinnie behind the hardware store any longer!!

3 Likes

Boy did that bring back memories. We got a heads up back in Germany (friendly MP) so we peppered the building steps, elevator and three floors. Dogs didn’t make it but a few feet. No bust!:sunglasses:

3 Likes

I worked in security at a hospital and it always seemed to “leak” to the enlisted when the dogs were coming through the barracks. You really didn’t have to ask anyone, just look at the vacuum cleaner checkout list in the barracks. I bought my own and did not lend it to only one person, gotta make exceptions for your lady !

Our command was aware of the screening techniques like pepper and it was a Captains Mast offense for anyone caught doing it ! If they found it in your room sprinkled around, you were gonna loose pay ! But they never busted anyone in barracks for pot, and there was some good stuff in the west Pacific. :man_farmer:

3 Likes

Too funny. Ex was a para and the building was the infirmary off base with barracks and kitchen on top floor. Our friend smoked with us so he had a vested interest :sunglasses: Good days, great hash!

1 Like

I live in a small town where one of our missile defense sites is located. My father-in-law is a retired colonel, my brother-in-law is a cop on post, I used to work as a dod employee, myself. Those 2 are squeaky clean, but I’d always drive onto post with my herb. It tickled me silly when they had to put up a sign at the gate regarding legal marijuana.

1 Like

Thing is I’m not all that with the cooking ,not anymore ,well when I had all the kids at home I used to like to do a few big family meals but otherwise I would get chased out of the kitchen and then when I was doing all the cooking, it was a lot easier to buy the pre prepared stuff which is never as good as you could make but then add to it to make it better but I never needed to make a pasta sauce and it’d have to be for 1 as I share a cottage with my sister and she’s my carer but does not smoke it nor does she like the feeling of being stoned so cooking with it is always for 1 person, so other than those pre prepared pasta packs I don’t really know how to try them @anon35207245 @SmoknGranny @AnneBonny @highcountrygal @Screwauger

1 Like

I love those knorr prepackaged noodle mixes, especially when I have the munchies. :grinning:

You can really use cannabudder/oil in literally ANYTHING you can eat/drink, as long as you’re ok with the taste.

2 Likes

You’re idea to try it in one of those easy prepare meals is fine @daz49. Especially since your in a sort of testing phase. You can just add your butter or oil without too much fuss. Then if you decide you like the effect you could try some home made recipes like a pasta sauce or soup or something and freeze it in small batches for one.

3 Likes

Thanks my friend, so can you tell me how to make a white sauce that I can use for pasta and how would I use that in a tomatoe like sauce for a bologn sauce, I can get the jars but you don’t need to add butter to those and I love spaghetti bologna

3 Likes

I’m not a very good cook but I’m hoping to learn more here and trying a few different things. My first & last batch of butter went into brownies, mixed some with honey on toast, loved it on potatoes and yummy on pasta with Parmesan cheese. Nothing fancy but I enjoyed it :grin:

1 Like

Good evening fellow farmers! Long day at work and expect an even longer one tomorrow. Can’t wait for retirement!! Checked on my Queen Kush a few minutes ago and can’t believe how bushy she’s getting. Oh, and my (2) Bubble Gum autos have sprouted in the rock wool cubes so I transferred them both to their own 6" pot. The tap root on both was growing out of the bottom of the cube by a couple of inches!! Great genetics those ILGM beans have!!
Expecting storms tonight so we moved our momma hen and her (4) chicks into my greenhouse for protection for the night. Our other girls are tucked safely into the coop. We have 23 hens now and get about a dozen and a half fresh eggs every day.
Hope everyone is having a great day and a great grow!! Enjoy the fruits of your labor! I know I am!!

2 Likes

Just b/c you don’t need to add budder, doesn’t mean you can’t. :grinning: Though, cannabis infused olive/veg oil would probably be better tasting with marinara or bolognese. Depending on the strength of your budder/oil, use 1-2tsp per individual serving. You can even just spoon it over any prepared food, if you want.

Of course, you could also decarb a gram or two of herb & sprinkle it into your jarred sauce. I prefer a dosage of at least a gram/serving.

Alfredo sauce is a very easy & quick pan sauce, especially perfect to make for a single serving. Makes one dinner sized serving.

Ingredients:
2 tsp budder or cannabis oil
½ tsp minced garlic
¼-½ cup half/half or heavy cream
¼ cup parmesan/romano/etc
Cracked black pepper
(optional: a splash of white wine or marsalla)
6-8oz cooked pasta (and any veggies/meat/etc you like)

1. Heat a small sautee pan over medium-high heat & add butter/oil to pan
  2. Add garlic & sautee for 2-3 minutes
  3. If using alcohol, add a splash to pan and allow to cook for another 15-30 seconds, stirring constantly
  4. Reduce heat to medium & stir in cream, allowing the cream to bubble gently; cook til reduced, stirring occasionally, about 2-3 mins
  5. Remove from heat, stir in cracked pepper to taste
  6. Add cheese, but don’t stir it; instead, gently toss the sauce with your pasta to mix it all together. If you stir it into the cream mix, the cheese gets stringy.

Boom! This is the way alfredo sauce is made in many restaurants…minus the weed, of course.

4 Likes

A trick regarding “cooking for one”.

Make enough for 4, portion it and freeze it. You trick yourself, subconsciously, into thinking you’re doing food for more than one and you also have “homemade ready meals” clear for defrosting and warming up so you don’t spend so much time thinking about “cooking for one”

3 Likes

Thanks my friend I’ll write it down and keep it that’s going to be a big help

1 Like