Thoughts and opinions on COB lighting systems

I said it before and i will say it again…you rock @dbrn32 thats exactly what i needed to help with the p e i c e s. Saves alot of time! Thank you both @garrigan62. @dbrn32 im trying to convince the wife to do the qb build. When im looking at there spec sheets at what level is best to drive these things at? Im really looking at filling the whole 3x5 space with qb. How difficult is making up the heatsink portion of 288 build? And what would it cost me to fill the 3x5 (six plant rotation) with a good amount “light” from the 288 (V1 or V2). In your opinion would it be better going with more smaller boards 120/132 that may not require a heat sink. Im looking to put the most usable sweet sweet light in this space. I would like to stay under 700.00 if possible with whatever build takes place. Thanka for letting me piggyback on your knowledge man!!! I have read alot of stuff on here and i feel like your spot on so i will role with your best suggestions.

2 Likes

That was the conclusion i kept talking myself out of. Like no way. Ur a dingbat. Look again. :man_shrugging:t5: Anywho. Strip party at my tent! (Not that kind you dirty birdie :joy:)

1 Like

Welcome down the rabbit hole my friend.

1 Like

@dbrn32

Thank you my friend you are a blessing in disguises

2 Likes

If you go with the 288’s just buy the hlg sinks. They work good and drilled and tapped, just install screws. If you don’t care about having the hot new board, there was a deal on version 1 288’s with sinks. If it were me, I’d probably go with 6 of them in that space running 3 per driver on two hlg-320h-c1750a. You’d have the check stock and see if that package is still discounted.

You could try 2 xl 260 kits version 2 boards, but I feel it would be just a smidge weak.

Same thing with smaller boards, 8 of either 120 or 132 probably a little weak, 12 of either more than enough. Figure and hlg-240 per four 120’s or an hlg-185 per four 132’s.

The washer issue had brought a discount on 324 boards too. 4 of them on two hlg-320’s probably viable option.

Or, pretty much all of the cobs and strips are capable of 2.3 umol per joule as well. Check out the availability and pricing on the hlg stuff and let me know what you come up with. If you want to get rough estimate on something else I’ll help you out.

1 Like

Great info my friends i will keep it all so wen o finally do understand it. After all this would i just be better buying a hps/mh 250w or a 400w light which come with dual bad bulbs cause my heads bursting and i just want a light by the weekend. Apart from the hps i was going to get the Kingbo 300w dual switch veg and bloom.
@dbrn32 @garrigan62 @FloridaSon @Sasquatch. I am really in a hurry to get this nxt grow going but must find a better light source for my 80x80cmx160cm and i hate having to buy my gear in but will have to until xmas or longer if i can get my light sorted out plz i badly need some help saving money is important but so is our meds so hps is a omega or a luminen lite or led kingbo 300w dual button veg /bloom or the viparspectra 300w kinbo also does a 600w tht i can afford but its a different model and one of the models are in a black case and the other one is in a white casing. All on amazon if someone can plz help me pick one i get they arent thw best on the market but thy all get the job done and alot better than what i have trust me. Plz anyone.

1 Like

What about a 315 lec?

Didnt see tht wat is it and were is it ??

Found it and atm its out of my price range for now think al go with the kingbo unless you have a better choice like a 250w or 400w hps by lumen lite or omega?. @dbrn32. @garrigan62 @Drinkslinger @Countryboyjvd1971 @Sasquatch @FloridaSon @Firstgo.

1 Like

Will take around 300 watts of that styled led to match the output of a decent 400 watt hps. So whichever is cheaper.

Sorry it took so long to reply, but here is my honest opinion, for what it’s worth.

Decide how much money you have to spend on your lighting. Get the dimensions of the grow space. Let @dbrn32 choose two options and pick one.

He will also be here to help you build a kit if you want to save the pre assembled charge, if available. You have access to a great guy willing to help you get the most light for your money.

@Budbrother @MattyBear @Bogleg @Momtomask as well as others can vouch for how simple he can make this for you.

That is the best advice I can offer you…

5 Likes

@dbrn32 is the absolute best. I can personally vouch for that. I have a light built by him. Lighting will be the place you don’t want to skimp if you can. It can separate you from the average grower almost immediately

3 Likes

Well guys i still haven’t gotten my light yet so until i can decide i will start on other aspects of my bew grow. I just built my water tank for my dripper system. With timer.

Its a work in progress but am just playing with some idea’s i am thinking about hand watering half my grow and putting the other half on the system am building and see which is better however unless i do all the same then it wont be a fair test now if i had more space or another tent thn i could do double. Anyway i will be starting my new grow soon but i will be starting the jounral a bit sooner as i build my system and think about adding some other little ideas in play before i start the seeds off i am hoping to have as much on timers and automated as much of the grow as i can but thinking of adding some side led’s just to boost the par and try and fill the small space i have with a SCROG of various strains from girl scout cookies, smokey bear purple express , sweet afghani delicious, and i might do west coast og and blueberry all AUTOFLOWER’s if not 6 al do the first 4. And maybe after xmas i will do a feminized and an autoflower mix grow with red dragon crack poison fast version and great white shark. But first things first my new auto grow.
WHAT SHALL I CALL IT.?? if you wish to follow my next journal then let me know and i shall @ you. @dbrn32 i tagged you as you appreciate a good DIY project. I am also considering one of them kits but am uncomfy with building things like that plus i am in the uk and some things are different depending on the country you live in. electricity scares me alot after i have had a near death experience with it. Anyway thts a story for a different day. One last thing i will now probably be able to spend more on a new light now and i am still on the bench for now but i wont wait to long as i miss growing so badly its an addiction tht brings me alot of enjoyment and am getting good at it finally something i am good at.

2 Likes

No problem. Digikey and mouser both have hubs there, so I’m sure you could get them.

Two of these would be in your budget right?

1 Like

Are you talking about this one here

https://www.amazon.com/300W-Grow-Lights-Full-Spectrum/dp/B072V6SFLR?tag=greenrel-20

Linko no worko, but you do get nice doggie pics when you click on it.

2 Likes

Wat one as i cant see anything it just pops up saying sorry.?? @garrigan62

@dbrn32 its just a shame you dont build them and sell to order i would wish it if you lived near me so i could pay you to build me one that way i dont have to worry about burnning my house down. I think after my space bucket adventure i left electrical jobs to folk who know what they are doing. I need new fans and was thinking of using the little pc fans in my grow tent but not sure if they are any good. I know how much you enjoy DIY projects and growing and i too enjoy DIY but worry about electricity tht and Gas is 2 think i am sceptical about touching as its too dangerous if they arent done correctly. I can fit pipes etc copper or upvc etc i just hate electric and since its only water then i dont mind fitting any type of pipes or tubing for my watering system. Question for my water tank that i will fill up as needed to water them so i can still control some aspects of the system so they dont get too much. The Q. Should i use a air pump in my dripper system would that be better or doent it matter. Even if it will help a little thm all the little things add up to be big things.

No problem. You should probably do something for your res. A lot of people feel that reflcirculating the water has lower effect on ph than running air stone.

@dbrn32 so i came across these extruded aluminum chases and was wondering…a little info, one type is about as wide as a paint stirer. Approx 3/32 thick, each fin is 2"(x4fins) and it is 7.5" wide (the pic with the 3) also one is 2’ long the other 2 are 3’ . Also i have alot of another type extruded peices. Its over 1/8th thick, 8"wide, each leg/fin is 2"(x2fins) i have 10’ lengths of this stuff. ANYWAY My quetion as it relates to the qb. The 288 dimensions fit these peices and i can drill em myself but is that enough aluminum for a 288? Im assuming the finned one would be the better option due to surface area. Are you also adept in heat sink sizing???

2 Likes