This is my first time growing but I didn't think it would be this hard

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks

Hello, I received my seeds at the beginning of March and have been struggling to grow them ever since. I have followed your advise to soak them first, however, 6 of my seeds have been soaking for a few weeks now to no avail (pH 6, water temp 68 F). After a couple weeks, 4 of the seeds have developed a tap root. I took one of these seeds and planted it in the soil but unfortunately, it died. I currently have another seed with tap root in soil but it has been over a week now (see pic) growing so slowly, if at all. I have two others that have soaked for several days in water, then I moved them to a wet napkin when the tap root emerged. I"m a bit apprehensive to sow them in the soil at this point since the other one died. Do you have any advise? I’m at a loss. This is my first time growing but I didn’t think it would be this hard.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! You should really join us here and your follower growers can help you when u need it. We were all newbies once.
1 mistake that is really easy to make is once one plant your seed in soil people tend to over water. You must resist this urge. keep soil damp not wet. the picture with the seed in soil looks wet. There are tons of growers and pros here to help you.
@Countryboyjvd1971 @garrigan62
Good luck with your grow

4 Likes

Can u give a little more info. What kind of soil are you using? There are many ways to accomplish the same thing but the way i germinate is to go straight to the wet paper towel and a zip lock bag. U can scratch the seed first which can help it crack. Once I see the taproot I put it 1/4 inch deep in the soil cover it lightly with soil, put a dome or a glass jar over it and put it under the lights. Make sure your soil isn’t too hot or it will kill the babies. There are others who will b along to help out who have other ways u can try as well. Good luck

I agree with @Sasquatch about joining us so we can help guide you
You should only need to soak beans for 24 to 48 until the crack hours then place in damp paper towel
And soil does look very wet in the picture this will cause the root to rot and die off

If you can please fill this out so with as much info as possible

To create a grow support ticket we need some basic information to help diagnose the issue.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?

System type?

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS

Indoor or Outdoor
Light system, size?

Temps; Day, Night
Humidity; Day, Night

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

Co2; Yes, No
If you can, upload a picture of your plant. It helps the diagnosis, if needed.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you all! Yes, I’ve probably been misting my seed in soil a bit too much. I’ll cut back. But isn’t it unusual that the other seeds haven’t cracked at all. They’ve been in the water for weeks!

Here’s more info about my grow:
Strain: Durban poison
Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco: soil, organic potting soil with worm castings
System type? N/a
PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? 6
What is strength of nutrient mix? N/a
Indoor or Outdoor: indoor
Light system: haven’t used it yet
Temps: 75-80 F
Humidity: low (we live in a dry climate)
Ventilation system: none yet
AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: AC but haven’t used it yet
Co2: no

You don’t need to soak the seeds for any longer than 24 hours, 48 hours tops. They get waterlogged and moldy, and won’t grow. Just soak for a day, if they don’t crack, put them in soil anyway, or use the wet paper towel method to get a taproot. Then into soil and mist with a sprayer till just moist, not wet.

1 Like