This interesting

So, I just saw this and was wondering how the guys with LED’s are producing such fine flowers with their QB’s if HPS or MH are the standards?

This is from 2014, so maybe the technology has changed.

This noob is a little confused.
Please discuss.

2 Likes

That was true in 2014 but technology advances constantly, electronics are out of date faster than you can open the box.

4 Likes

Like am I gonna hang my plants up to dry and monitor the temperature and humidity for ten days so I can smoke it. Absolutely not I’m gonna throw my buds in my dryer and start smoking them in 4.

1 Like

I’m glad you said that because I’ve already got a QB, and I’m buying two more in September after I dry out and cure this outdoor crop. I don’t have a good place to other than my 4x4.so let it be written.

1 Like

Ok, these statements above may have been true years ago, but LED is by far kicking ass in almost every way on gas lamps. They can be specifically tailored to the growth phase, they dont require a new bulb every year, they dont waste light energy as heat nearly as bad, less risk of fire, virtually no risk of burns from the fixture, they dont explode with contact with water like a gas lamp will, you pay less in energy for both light and HVAC, heat removal is huge in the summer! Plants respond very well to Led. LED can be turned down with a dimmer much easier then gas lamps. LED fixtures take up way less vertical space than a gas lamp hood, they are typically a better form factor for better light distribution too.
The downsides of LED is the upfront cost is higher for a good LED. Cheap LED fixtures are flooding the market and many are falling victim to them.
That being said, gas lamps do work, and they work very good! They were the undustry standard for years, and many commercial growers still employ them. However, because of operating costs and bud quality, thats changing fast.
If you decide to go LED you should consult @dbrn32 about your needs, many are enjoying HLG. Hope that answers your questions.

2 Likes

Oh BTW my dryer

Oh man, I done done it!

If I had the space and was allowed to grow a decent size crop, I’d like to try the old school tech.

When I was in college I bought Ed Rosenthals book, and it was pretty much all there was commercially.
In the section on indoor cultivation he had all the latest tech of the era, and IIRC, metal halide was probably the standard while HPS was fairly new and expensive. I never EVER thought I’d be able to grow. I used to take notes in the margins of that book just getting ready for the grow that I’m
conducting right now! It’s absolutely remarkable that we’re able to legally grow now, because I never thought I’d see it. I’m 57 and I’m as happy as a clam about it. Sadly there are some really arcane guidelines that our by our state lawmakers put in that are comical at best. Mainly indoor only, and the fact that if you get caught growing without a current medical card it’s a $200 fine. If they want to hook me up over any of the guidelines, it’s under their discretion to seize the entire shooting match and
fine you to boot. Seems about right. Smh

I’m trying not to complain too much because it could just as easily be illegal in this state. Hopefully every taxpayer in the state will be allowed to grow his own recreationally in the very near future.

Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

Any time! Enjoy the process! And good growing!

1 Like

Do you recommenced that product, and what does is cost?

BTW, what is the deal on not being about to edit a post after an hour or whatever? I just realized I
need to edit the title. The body of a post is one thing, but we should be able to fix a title post.

Don’t they know their captive audience is a bunch of pot heads?

2 Likes

3 weeks from using it, gotta see.

We are stoned, not stupid lol! Its all good. If you want to start a new thread… do eet! Many just start a new one rather than kicking an older one.

Yea, I’m not sure on the etiquette around here.
I’m still trying to figure out who is cool to hang out with so to speak.

I try to listen more than I talk, but the execution is lacking.

1 Like

Its all good, most of us are pretty mellow. We just like growing pot. We have all the camps here too, hydro, aeroponics, coco, peat based, supersoil, compound grows, outdoor, greenhouse… lots of talent in every area. We have a lighting guru dbrn32 hes the man.

Ive been on other sites and there are trolls and trouble makers that love to bother new growers, its not really tolerated here.

Cannabian https://ilgmforum.com/u/cannabian
July 16

Ive been on other sites and there are trolls and trouble makers that love
to bother new growers, its not really tolerated here.

Visit Topic
https://ilgmforum.com/t/this-interesting/49434/14
or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To
mandoVol https://ilgmforum.com/u/mandovol
July 16
Yea, I’m not sure on the etiquette around here. I’m still trying to figure
out who is cool to hang out with so to speak. I try to listen more than I
talk, but the execution is lacking.

Yea, Db has pointed me in the right direction on a couple of occasions.
I’ve got accts at all of the places I’ve purchased seeds from. Robert of
course, Seedsman, THCfarmer, Growers House, KropKing, and everyone here has
been very cool so far.

Visit Topic

This is a public forum, and the rules here are fairly strict with regard to abusive content. There are no orivate messages for us common folk unless you pay to be on the other forum. Attempting to circumvent this can result in being punted.
I still much prefer this environment to the other forums because people here are genuinely helpful and kind.

2 Likes

Same guy is convinced now that a $100 in led shop lights from walmart would probably veg a 4x4, so I would say it’s just difference between then and now.

1 Like