Third grow, third soil, and new tricks! Let's goooooo!

Third grow journal, but first journal here. This new grow will be 6 plants total: 4 fems and 2 autos. I like to try a new skill with every grow until I find what works for me.

I’m going to give SCROGing a try using the Fox Farm trio nutes for the first time. I’m also increasing my grow to 6 plants and using Happy Frog and Epsom Salt.

For future reference:
-What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed (photo or auto): Purple Lemonade Fem (Seedsman), Blueberry Fem (Seedsman), Runtz Fem (Seedsman)x2, Wedding Cake Auto (ILGM)x2
-Age of plant/what week of flower: Day 3 from seed
-Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF: Happy Frog
-Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, fabric pots: 5 gal fabrics (Fem) and 3 gal fabric (Autos)
-PH and TDS of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
-PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
-Method used to measure PH and TDS: AP20 pH pen and generic TDS pen
-Indoor or Outdoor if indoor, size of grow space: Indoor 2x4 Vivosun and 4x4 AC Inifinity tents
-Light system LED, MH/HPS/CMH/Fluorescents, or other: Spider Farmer SF 2000 x1 until the beginning of veg, then Mars Hydro TSL2000 x2 for most of veg and flower.
-Actual wattage draw of lights: SF (202.3W±5) and MH (300 watts)x2
-Current Light Schedule: 18/6
-Temps; Day, Night 78/69
-Humidity; Day, Night 68%/70%
-Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size: Yes 6" AC Infinity Inline Fan (4x4 tent); 4" AC Infinity Intake (2x4 tent), 4" Vivosun Intake (2x4 tent).
-AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, Humidifier and Vivosun Dehumidifier
-Co2; Yes, No: No

3 Likes

Looks like you are off to a good (third) start.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Here they are as of 5 minutes ago. I have a fan lightly aimed on them to strengthen those stems.

3 Likes

Are these under a dome? If not; that will help.

2 Likes

I had them under a dome, but the tent holds humidity pretty well. Do you think I still need it? I wanted to get a fan on them to strengthen the stems.

I started using domes. I kept them on till they had more leaves aka close to touching the sides. Then pulled them carefully off. I started using them because the last few attempts they was leaning over. They perked right up under a dome.

Silica is better for strengthening the branches and stems IMHO. :+1::+1::+1:

4 Likes

What’s the benefit of the dome if the tent is already at 65-70% RH? Honest question! @Myfriendis410 @MrPeat

Its not about the RH% for me. Think of a dome as a Green House. Its about the seedlings having a weak stem and then leans over. Doing the Dome perks them right up. I’m not a Botanist nor a Horticulturist.

I just started using domes on seedlings. Right now our temps with the heat index is cruising past 128 degrees each day. Extremely hot and humid.

@Myfriendis410, @dbrn32, @Covertgrower, @Hellraiser can answer the question better than I can.:+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

The dome bumps the humidity to above the 80% mark. It only promotes good growth, but domes aren’t mandatory, just helpful.

4 Likes

And saves on electricity if you are using a humidifier for humidity control.

4 Likes

65 to 70% is not 100%: that’s the difference.

Seedlings derive all of their moisture out of the air through leaves for the first couple of weeks. Once a tap root is established you can remove the dome.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! I’m just trying to get various opinions so I understand. I think @Hellraiser doesn’t use a dome.

Right now the tent is at 76F and 81%RH and the kids are under the dome.

2 Likes

Nope, not a domer, never used a dome for seedlings and never felt the need.

2 Likes

Here they are today day 4. Spent the night under the dome. I did notice that two plant stems were reaching, so I “repaired” them with a split straw and lowered the light a few inches.

2 Likes

Unexpectedly ended up in the hospital for a few days and the seedlings went dry and no one refilled the humidifier. Watered and caught up with everything. Buried a few stems again. If it continues, I’ll just have to re-pot. Lesson learned…make sure you bury the seeds a bit more next time.

Day 10 RH 60% Temp 74F

This wedding cake auto is struggling behind the others after an early mishap. I’m going to give it more time.

2 Likes

2 week mark. RH 64% 74F.

Still watering with pHd water every 3-4 days. Even the little wedding cake runt is catching up! Resilient weeds indeed.

I decided Im going to use Jack’s 321 nutes just because. I’ll probably start once Jack’s arrives at 1/4 dose and go from there.

2 Likes

2w3d (Day 17) 70F 60%RH

They’re still chugging along. I found a lot of mold starting to brew in the humidifier, so scrubbed and cleaned that before it became a problem. Still waiting for my SmartBot humidifiers to arrive (it’s been 3 weeks CMONNN).

Can a Calmag deficiency start this early? I’ve only been giving ph’d water and they’re in happy frog. It’s only present on this one Runtz fem.

Same plant. Maybe I’m also seeing some bleaching? I raised the light a few inches just in case.

@Hellraiser @imSICKkid @dbrn32 @MidwestGuy @Covertgrower thoughts? I can start using calmag at the next feed.

1 Like

I rarely add cal/mag until I get into flowering when in HF.

1 Like

@MidwestGuy same! I just can’t figure out what would cause these brown scars. I’ve never had a problem this early before!

1 Like